Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Valve released specs on their upcoming prototypes of the SteamOS device

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,659 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:28 PM

For the lucky beta testers who get one of the 300 Steam prototypes that will be shipping this year, the specs have been released. The hardware will run on Linux based SteamOS with the following specs:
  • GPU: some units with NVidia Titan, some GTX780, some GTX760, and some GTX660
  • CPU: some boxes with Intel i7-4770, some i5-4570, and some i3
  • RAM: 16GB DDR3-1600 (CPU), 3GB GDDR5 (GPU)
  • Storage: 1TB/8GB Hybrid SSHD
  • Power Supply: Internal 450w 80Plus Gold
  • Dimensions: approx. 12 x 12.4 x 2.9 in high
So far the specs look pretty awesome, but the pricepoint for all this looks to be high. Plus the PSU looks like its a bit underrated even though its a Gold.

Thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:53 AM

Gotta figure NVidia is ponying up the GPUs for a greatly reduced price, or maybe nothing at all.  Intel is dealing as well.  Valve has a lot of cash, seriously large piles of cash.

These are just development/testing kits.  NVidia has really worked hard on their Linux OpenGL drivers and kicked in a fair amount of time/money on engineers and hardware for this project.  This hardware configuration has (in my opinion) little to do with the final hardware specs/requirements.  This is just testing hardware.

Agree with you on the PSU.  Even with a Titan, peak draw will be under 400 watts so a QUALITY 450 watt gold PSU should work OK. Cutting it a little close. No room for a "Diablotek" in this setup.

Edited by dpunisher, 05 October 2013 - 02:53 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,659 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:58 AM

Yes, but if their final product is using these specifications, its not going to be cheap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users