Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop overheats and crashes when playing certain Face Book games.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 twentycats

twentycats

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:27 PM

I have an Inspirion 1525, Windows Vista Home 32 bit .   I play games through Face Book on it,( using IE or Google Chrome,) as well as other sites.  I can play on Slingo.com all day with no overheating or crashing .  I can play on FB most games, and still no problem - however,  when I try to play Bingo Bash, or Bejeweled Blitz, even when I have just started the computer , my laptop will rapidly overheat and crash !   I began using an auxillary fan to keep it cool, but this does not always help.  Otherwise, this does not happen , although I am aware that laptops are notorious for overheating.   I am perplexed !  Any idea of what is going on ?    Thanks for all your help - you folks are great !  Laura

Edited by hamluis, 05 October 2013 - 06:42 AM.
Moved from Vista to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:34 AM

Have you tried blowing out the vents with canned air?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 twentycats

twentycats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:12 PM

Oh, yes ... I keep my laptop's "innerds" clean ... Like I said - this only happens with certain games.   Thanks for the suggestion though !

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:25 PM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

When you play these games is the laptop on a solid flat surface?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 twentycats

twentycats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:05 AM

Sorry took so long to reply - was out of town ...           Having trouble with downloads - could not download speccy, nor the most recent version of Avira ...  This is not due to  my firewall, or windows defender ...  However, I have noticed multiple instances of Internet Explorer on my task list, just prior to overheating and crashing .   ( iexplorer ... varied mbs ... internet)  Figure it's add-ons, but am unsure which add-ons to remove/disable .     I have my laptop on blocks to aid in air circulation, and also use 2 auxillary fans, one under, one behind . currently, there are 8 instances of iexplorer running , and I am able to end-task the smaller mbs without disruption.    Now what shoiould I do ?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:07 AM

If you are seeing iexplorer or iexplorer.exe?

Iexplorer is an application from Macroplant which lets you transfer music from any iPhone, iPod or iPad to a Mac or PC. 

iexplorer.exe in Internet Explorer.

Edited by dc3, 30 October 2013 - 09:07 AM.

#7 twentycats

twentycats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:21 AM

It is definately not a music transfer app -  don't own iPod,iPhone, etc ...   Never tranfered any music files, ever ...   Discovered some interesting items on my startup last night, and posted in Forums ( Startup)  about them .  Beginning to think I've got some sort of virus, especially as both overheating/crashing, and downloads being blocked  , continued to persist after doing a 'clean boot' . Please feel free to check that forum post for further details.  May end up having to wipe my pc clean and re-install Vista ...sigh ...

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:47 AM

Clarification:  iexplorer.exe seem to be malware, while iexplore.exe is the Windows process for Internet Explorer.

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/iexplorer/

Topic moved to Am I Infected.

Louis

#9 twentycats

twentycats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:58 AM

Here is what I did - and it seems to have fixed things - House cleaned my pc's files . I  Removed anything I did not use or recognise .  Followed up several times with CCleaner .   Task mgr. now shows no more than 2 instances of iexplorer, and the number of functioning processes stays between 47 and 51.  Am now able to update everything except Spybot - which still crashes my pc when I do a full scan .... Looks like I will have to remove and replace that .  No, I don't have any idea of which file was infected - but it seems to be gone now.   Will let you know in another week if things are still going smoothely, or not .  Thanks !

#10 twentycats

twentycats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:43 PM

Ok - Still having occasional 'crashes' when playing certain games ... but task mgr. does not show an overload of preocesses .  Was blocked from downloading Spybot and Speccy again today, so I plugged in a flash drive and loaded them into it, and installed from there ... Windows insisted , during the download that downloading into drive F was unsuccesful,  but they were there anyway, and are now installed on my OS. drive.   Avira seems to be the problem with downloading, but I'm still proving that to myself.     Otherwise, laptop running smooth - and I will use Speccy the next time it crashes, and follow your instructions as to posting .  Untill then, thanks again !  Laura

#11 twentycats

twentycats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:27 PM

OK - laptop crashed while spybot was doing a complete scan - am having trouble getting SPeccy copied to this post - tried many options, none worked ... though perhaps, I have e-mailed the info from Speccy to myself, and maybe I can copy & paste that here ... will try !

#12 TheArcane03

TheArcane03

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:25 AM

The iexplore.exe or iexplorer.exe, i can't remember which is a trojan. i got it on my dell laptop last year and it wrecked my system before i could fix it.  It will not allow you to run virus or malware scanning utilities.  i suggest you find some info on that particular infection quickly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users