Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 cannot shutdown, sleep or hibernate, BSOD

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 broscottcho

broscottcho

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:07 PM

I have been trying to figure this out for awhile now.  Any time I try to shutdown my computer, put it to sleep or hibernate it just hangs then crashes.  I have tried different video drivers, Windows updates and lots of searching around.  I do have an SSD drive with the operating system and a few apps and a secondary platter drive for storage and other apps.  I think it has something to do with that setup and also a driver. 

I am new to this forum so please let me know what other information I can provide.  For some reason I cannot paste into the forum post so I am attaching my BlueScreenView BSOD output and a link to my Speccy profile.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Attached Files

Edited by broscottcho, 04 October 2013 - 02:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:17 PM

Suggest you go back to using Windows 8.  Only way that 8.1 is not going to work properly, is if you did not install the device drivers for the computer.  Your Speccy is garbage.  Suggest you go to your computer or motherboard manufacturer's website and see if they have Windows 8 device drivers available.

#3 broscottcho

broscottcho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:23 PM

I installed all drivers from HP.  What do you mean the Speccy is garbage?  Does the link not work?

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:28 PM

There was nothing in the text file, so the Speccy info was garbage.  Post your model #, and check over at http://www8.hp.com/us/en/drivers.html to see if it even shows Windows 7 drivers available.  As for system info, you can post the results from msinfo32.exe for the System Summary, which will give the basic info of model#, installed RAM, video chipset.

Something happened when you went to dump the Speccy results to the text file.  When you do get them, print them to a PDF, using Cutepdf, which you can get from cutepdf.com, vs. the text file.

#5 broscottcho

broscottcho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:26 PM

Thanks Greg but I think maybe I wasn't as clear as I could have been.  The Speccy doc has just a link to the online results but I am attaching a pdf as requested.  Also, this is Windows 8 I am working with though the model I have does indeed support Windows 7 and Windows 8.

I am going to go through and re-install all driver packages and see if that does anything.  I am thinking you are probably correct and I will need to do a fresh install of Windows 8.

HP EliteBook 8770w 

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdHome/?sp4ts.oid=5257513&spf_p.tpst=swdMain&spf_p.prp_swdMain=wsrp-navigationalState%3DswEnvOID%253D4132%257CswLang%253D%257Caction%253DlistDriver&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro
Version    6.3.9600 Build 9600
Other OS Description     Not Available
OS Manufacturer    Microsoft Corporation
System Name    IT0613
System Manufacturer    Hewlett-Packard
System Model    HP EliteBook 8770w
System Type    x64-based PC
System SKU    C7A69UT#ABA
Processor    Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date    Hewlett-Packard 68IAV Ver. F.42, 7/15/2013
SMBIOS Version    2.7
Embedded Controller Version    80.28
BIOS Mode    Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer    Hewlett-Packard
BaseBoard Model    Not Available
BaseBoard Name    Base Board
Platform Role    Mobile
Secure Boot State    Unsupported
PCR7 Configuration    Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory    C:\Windows
System Directory    C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device    \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale    United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "6.3.9600.16384"
User Name    IT0613\Scott
Time Zone    Central Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    24.0 GB
Total Physical Memory    23.9 GB
Available Physical Memory    21.5 GB
Total Virtual Memory    47.9 GB
Available Virtual Memory    45.1 GB
Page File Space    24.0 GB
Page File    C:\pagefile.sys
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions    Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions    Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware    Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection    Yes

#6 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:16 AM

Intel based, it should be finding the drivers.  Then again, I found out the hard way, that the Acer Aspire a0532h Netbook would not work with Windows 8, and ended up having to roll it back to Windows 7, before giving it to my daughter.

You should have no problem though.  You could try and go through and install the drivers for Windows 8 on the machine, as it sits now, to see what happens.  That way once 8.1 does come out, you have figured out what is buggy, and what is not, so you can decide to stick with 8 or go with 8.1.

I am still undecided on 8.1, since I had problems about a two months ago, when I tried the pre-release, so had to do a full reinstall.  I have learned with 8, to just keep any documents, or files I wish to keep on a NAS, USB Pocket drive, or one of my two cloud drives that I have.  I keep a duplicate of some files on a family Cloud drive, and another copy on the NAS in my house.

When you pull the drivers for your machine, burn them to a DVD, or Pocket drive, so that you do not have to wait for them to download when you attempt to do the install.

You can also see if HP will send you a copy of Windows 8.1 when it comes out, with the drivers on that image.  Cannot hurt to try.  Cost should not be that much for the image.  Also HP is pretty good about doing a "Clean copy" of the OS, without all the garbage.  When I had my Compaq Notebook about ten years ago, I actually got the clean XP Pro DVD, along with the OEM with all the garbage on it.

Also run the Intel Autodetect software, to see if it will find any updated drivers for the Intel chipsets on that machine.  http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect

#7 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:19 AM

Just for others, here is the Speccy for your machine.  It is 34 pages, when I saved it as a PDF.  Also, you have updated the machine with all the latest updates for Windows, along with the any other software, correct?

Edited by Greg62702, 05 October 2013 - 12:22 AM.

#8 broscottcho

broscottcho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:34 PM

Thanks for all the help so far.  I did a complete re-install and it worked after that.  I kept installing my software one by one until it did not work.  The issue comes up when I install Office 2013.  I can uninstall Office 2013 and it works again.  I am not finding much of other people having this issue but I am still troubleshooting to find a fix.

#9 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:31 PM

I would then stick with either Google Docs, Office 2010, Libre/Open Office, if the problem is popping up due to Office 2013.  I have not had any issues with Office 2013 on my machine yet.

You could try and install just the Office components one by one and see what happens. But personally going with one of the alternatives like Open Office would probably work better.

#10 broscottcho

broscottcho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:53 PM

Thanks for the help troubleshooting.  For the heck of it I re-installed Office 2013 and still had the issue.  I re-installed again but checked to install ALL features and it now works.  Really weird but there must be something Windows 8.1 likes or dislikes.  Anyways installing a full install not a default seems to have fixed the issue.

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:47 PM

How are you installing Office 2013, and I noticed that one of your drive has a high CRC Error Count, is this your DATA Drive?

ALso for everyone one else no need to view the PDF file. The first speccy.txt attachment contained the following link: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/mJNZvTpq1SZGtj15Ja3NmSQ which is the speccy report.

Please download MiniToolBox, and save it to your desktop and run it. Checkmark the following checkboxes:

Flush DNS
Report IE Proxy Settings
Reset IE Proxy Settings
Report FF Proxy Settings
Reset FF Proxy Settings
List content of Hosts
List IP configuration
List Winsock Entries
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.
Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users