Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help please, Email accounts hacked

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chrisdando

chrisdando

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:36 PM

Hello I'm totally new to the forums I'm not sure if i'm posting this in the right section sorry. (advised to come here by blizzard)

Here's some information on what has happened;

I had a text message from Blizzard stating that a security feature has been added to my battle.net account, which I did not add, I then discovered that my account had been compromised. So I full system restored my computer to factory default settings (Acer aspire 5332). I contacted blizzard and they changed my email for me (after I restored my computer), I specifically created a new email for my battle.net account. Everything seemed good as I could login to my battle.net account. Today I tried to log into the new email that I had created to find that the password had been changed on the new email including my partners email address, which took the whole situation to a new level because my partners email has sensitive and personal information in it. I am also concerned as to what other information this hacker has of mine and my partners. I have no idea why a full system restore to factory default settings has failed but I am determined to get this virus off my computer so here is a list of what I have tried thus far:

AVG antivirus- full scan nothing found

Adaware pro - full scan nothing found

Superantispyware- full scan nothing found

Spybot search and destroy- nothing found

Kapersky antivirus - nothing 

So on blizzards security support page I come across Combifix, Now I have ran it and have a log which I have no idea what to do next any input would be excellent and appreciated, I have the log here should I attach it to the post? I am clueless here and appreciate if anyone could shed some light onto what type of virus or problem this could be and any solutions. 

Thanks Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jkostar

jkostar

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:09 PM

who is the provider of your email account? is this webmail, or exchange? Also, do you have a secondary account linked to either of these accounts? have you contacted the security team for the email account provider yet to let them know of this issue? Let me know, and also, I would highly suggest looking into an application called keypass (http://keepass.info/) a great application to keep passwords secure.

#3 chrisdando

chrisdando
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:11 PM

Thanks for the reply, It is an hotmail/outlook email. I am currently using "single use" login to sign into the email so that I don't have to type in my password. I did contact outlook and they have said to do this and to get my computer taken to a professional to get it sorted. I will look into keepass, thanks but I would rather get the virus removed. Thanks again for the input appreciate it. (I used my phone number to recover the webmail)

Edited by chrisdando, 04 October 2013 - 02:16 PM.

#4 chrisdando

chrisdando
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:58 AM

can anyone help with this please?

#5 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:24 AM

Hello,

From what you describe there is no actual malware on your computer, It is likely that the email address was compromised and the best thing you can do is reset the passwords on all involved addressed (using the Password Forgotten link an email provider usually has). Ensure the new password is a strong password. I also strongly recommend not to use email accounts that are used for confidential/important information as registration mail, better use a separate account for this.

Combofix doesn't help with this issue and is not recommended to be run unsupervised as it has the potential to do quite some damage.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#6 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:06 PM

... also, please be discreet with your passwords and other information. Keep them to yourself and copy/paste if possible when online or otherwise. Is the machine used in public places with wi-fi?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users