Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft (allegedly) Now Recommends You Use a Third-Party Antivirus

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:38 AM

Goodbye Microsoft Security Essentials: Microsoft Now Recommends You Use a Third-Party Antivirus

Microsoft Security Essentials (Windows Defender on Windows 8) was once on top. Over the years, its slid in the test results, but Microsoft argued the tests werent meaningful. Now, Microsoft is advising Windows users to use a third-party antivirus instead.

This revelation comes to us from an interview Microsoft gave. Microsofts official website still bills MSE as offering comprehensive malware protection without any hint that they no longer recommend using it. Microsoft is not communicating well with its users.

Article

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allen

Allen

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 05 October 2013 - 08:20 AM

Well it was bound to happen, nothing gold can stay.

Hey everyone I'm Allen I am a young web developer/designer/programmer I also help people with computer issues including hardware problems, malware/viruses infections and software conflicts. I am a kind and easy to get along with person so if you need help feel free to ask.

#3 rHabdomantist

rHabdomantist

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:58 PM

Related discussion: 

News from Microsoft (PCPRO Article - MSE)

Edited by rHabdomantist, 05 October 2013 - 02:59 PM.

#4 Black Scorpion

Black Scorpion

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:13 AM

I still see Microsoft Security Essentials as one of the best options because it is light on the system resources and it has very less false detections.MY top choice .

#5 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2013 - 05:09 PM

I have been installing MSE or AVG on client systems since I started at my current job in April this year. Does this mean that I will need to go back to clients with MSE and switch them to AVG or something else? There's going to be a lot of irritated clients....

#6 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:08 AM

I'm staying with the free Avast! that the OP article sites.

They note in the article that "it's heavier than MSE, its interface is more overbearing, and it tries to upsell you to a paid product you don’t really need. But that’s the price we pay for solid antivirus protection"

All of which is true but as they also point out "average Windows users don’t always follow proper security practices and should use a strong antivirus that does well in tests" That would be both my wife and my Mother-in-Law, neither who could give a whit about computer security and/or practices...they just want to log on, surf and check their emails. (*Note: Bold in quote has been done by me and was not in the original article*)

And even though the interface can seem a bit busy, I've always been able to (over the phone) walk my Mother-in-Law through the interface and give me a code to log into/remote into her machine.

I've tried MSE, was a long time user of AVG, used Avira for quite awhile (until the Ask Toolbar came crashing in) but have been quite happy with the free Avast! for the past couple of years, the real time protection works pretty well and even though it is heavier on resources than MSE, I've tweaked a few elements of it so it's now purring along side-by-side of my MBAM and all is safe....at least for now, in the Winterland household of multiple workstations.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#7 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:15 AM

Based on what I'm seeing here:

http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/windows-7/julaug-2013/

I'm going to continue to use AVG Free.

#8 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:16 AM

I'm just going to leave this here. You make your own opinion, there is no "one" best anti-virus out there that everyone can agree on.

These kinds of comparative testing results will vary depending on a variety of factors to include but not limited to who conducted the testing, what they were testing for, what versions of anti-virus software were tested, what type of scanning engine was used, and the ability to clean or repair. There are no universally predefined set of standards or criteria for testing which means each test will yield different results. As such, you need to look for detailed information about how the tests were conducted, the procedures used, and data results.

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,897 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:19 PM

Goodbye Microsoft Security Essentials: Microsoft Now Recommends You Use a Third-Party Antivirus

Microsoft Security Essentials (Windows Defender on Windows 8) was once on top. Over the years, it’s slid in the test results, but Microsoft argued the tests weren’t meaningful. Now, Microsoft is advising Windows users to use a third-party antivirus instead.

This revelation comes to us from an interview Microsoft gave. Microsoft’s official website still bills MSE as offering “comprehensive malware protection” without any hint that they no longer recommend using it. Microsoft is not communicating well with its users.

Article

Sensationalist Press Got it WRONG! Microsoft Does Not Recommend Two Antivirus Programs!

Nicole Kobie, the writer of the article does not provide a direct quote of Holly Stewart actually saying to use a third-party anti-virus because Ms. Stewart never made that statement. Instead Kobie takes Ms. Stewart's words out of context and misrepresents what was said during the interview. Typical of "so called" journalists these days...they would rather create a story instead of reporting it.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:27 PM

xXToffeeXx - thank you. 

I hope I didn't sound like "what ever I choose is the best" - I just meant to say that it was best for me and the machines in my household and the users that are closest to me (family, mostly). I hope everyone here at BC takes the time to read over the wealth of info that is available here and selects what they think will work best for them.

And, for any of our new Members, I just want to remind them that one of the great advantages to using the free versions of anything is that if you don't like it, you can always uninstall it and move on. That's how (esp. on one of my older machines) I've cycled through several antivirus apps that are out there.

And quietman7, thanks for the link and the story to help clear the air about this whole thing.

onward,

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,897 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:56 PM

You're welcome.

#12 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:09 PM

xXToffeeXx - thank you. 

I hope I didn't sound like "what ever I choose is the best" - I just meant to say that it was best for me and the machines in my household and the users that are closest to me (family, mostly). I hope everyone here at BC takes the time to read over the wealth of info that is available here and selects what they think will work best for them.

And, for any of our new Members, I just want to remind them that one of the great advantages to using the free versions of anything is that if you don't like it, you can always uninstall it and move on. That's how (esp. on one of my older machines) I've cycled through several antivirus apps that are out there.

Certainly not, it was just a general comment. I find Avast! free to be one of the better free anti-viruses in my opinion and is what I recommend to family and friends. Nobody has complained so far, which I take as a good sign. I use Avast! free on my own computers, along with MBAM and they work good together. 

It's up to individuals to make their own choice on what works for them security-wise, BC is here for the information in helping choose one.

Interesting article quietman, and yes some journalists sometimes like to twist the truth a little to create a better story.

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#13 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:16 PM

I'm glad to hear this also as I was unfortunately trusting the source but saw no disclaimers till this.
I replied to the source also.

Edited by boopme, 09 October 2013 - 01:17 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,897 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:26 PM

Just for the record:

You dont need to install more than one antivirus program. In fact, running more than one antivirus program at the same time can cause conflicts and errors that make your antivirus protection less effective or not effective at all.

Should I use more than one antivirus program?

If you use Microsoft Security Essentials you don't need to install any other antivirus or antispyware software. In fact, if you run run more than one antivirus or antispyware program at once it might affect your computer's performance...

Do I need both Microsoft Security Essentials and another antivirus software program?

Before installing Microsoft Security Essentials, we recommend that you uninstall other antivirus software already running on your PC. Running more than one antivirus program at the same time can potentially cause conflicts that affect PC performance.

Microsoft Security Essentials statement <- click Details

#15 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:40 PM

I'm just going to leave this here. You make your own opinion, there is no "one" best anti-virus out there that everyone can agree on.

I wasn't trying to incite a debate :)

I think a big part of choosing an AV is if you're already familiar with one. Having said that, obviously the free AV won't perform as well as a paid AV, but that still comes down to personal choice. I'm just happy the one I use has a good score :) I wasn't putting down any others. (though I have had bad experiences with others- just like other people have had bad experiences with AVG :wink:  )

Edited by Netghost56, 09 October 2013 - 03:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users