Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Undo System Restore Option Not Available

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Arlothia

Arlothia

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:23 PM

Hello!

So back on Sep. 12, 2013 I did a system restore to about 6PM on the 11th. It is now October 3 and I am not seeing the option to undo the system restore. Is it because I waited too long?

I have Windows 7 Home Premium.

Also, the dates/times that I have listed in System Restore keep getting fewer and fewer. Is there a way to locate old System Restore points?

Thanks so much!

Arlothia

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:10 AM

Hi Arlothia, Did you try checking the 'show more restore points'?

rjI7khg.jpg

There are ways to manage system restore points so please see this link. Do you have any particular computer issue besides or related to the restoration problem?

Tekken

#3 Arlothia

Arlothia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:26 PM

Hi jhayz!

Thanks for getting back to me.

Yes, I have tried 'Show more restore points' but now it's not giving me anything before Sep. 27 and there are only about three restore points to choose from.

Thanks for the link but the information it has for "Restoring a restore point" doesn't fit with what my computer offers me. I click on system restore, allow it to make changes to my computer, I get a window that explains what system restore does with a 'next' button at the bottom (and no other options except to close the window), and when I click 'next' I'm brought to a window that shows me my system restore points (with the option to show more, which is only giving me three restore points). I do have an option to 'scan for affected programs' but I haven't pressed that and I don't think it will do much for what I need. And then when I press the 'next' button on that page then I just get a confirmation for whatever date I selected (or the top one if I didn't select one) and then the option to 'finish'. The information I get does not match what your link showed me and it doesn't have any sort of option to redo a restore point. I have never seen that option before on my computer.

As far as I know there are no problems on my computer that would affect the restoration process. My computer got hit with a virus on 9/11 that encrypted my files (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and some of my pictures) but not any of my programs so far as I am aware.

I remember looking around online for ways to show previous versions of my files (I can't remember exactly where I saw those or what they suggested), but those didn't help with my overall predicament and I don't think they would affect how my system restore works.

Do you or someone you know have any ideas how to help?

Thanks again so much for getting back to me!

A

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:21 AM

My computer got hit with a virus on 9/11 that encrypted my files (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and some of my pictures) but not any of my programs so far as I am aware.

Highlighting this portion means you are trying to recover encrypted files due to reinfection, correct?

Tekken

#5 Arlothia

Arlothia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:28 PM

Well, it wasn't "re"infected, as far as I know I only got it the once. But "yes" is the answer to your question.

There is another thread on here that is devoted to this virus (cryptolocker hijack problem is the name of the thread, cryptolocker being the name of the virus itself) someone found that by using the Microsoft program called ShadowExplorer, you can get previous versions of your files and so far everyone who has tried this and not had Windows XP has had success (as far as I've seen). The thing is, the dates that ShadowExplorer provides for the previous versions is correlated with the computer's restore points, at least that's how it is on my computer. The day after I got infected with this virus I tried doing a system restore, thinking that may help, and I was given a time just a few hours before infection, but it didn't work and now I don't have that date/time available to me in ShadowExplorer. So I just need to find a way of getting a date pre-virus...

I hope that info helps.

Thanks!

A

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:54 AM

Unfortunately that decryption problem seems to be over my head. :( Reading through the active thread seems to have given you the currently probable solution.

Tekken

#7 Arlothia

Arlothia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:43 PM

Yes, it is quite nasty but I don't need to decrypt it, per say. I just need a way of getting some old restore points. The fact that I had this virus isn't vital information related to restore points because the virus doesn't affect that part of the computer. Really, I can just ignore that altogether and focus primarily on restore points. And as you say, I have read through the thread and I do know that ShadowExplorer works, if only I can get those restore points back. If you are unaware of how to help with that do you by chance know of someone who knows or somewhere this information exists?

Thanks!

A

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:03 PM

I just need a way of getting some old restore points.

The isn't any known old windows restore point since they are systematically managed (Post#2 link) to be overwritten on certain date points AFAIK. If they were pre configured to take bigger space or maximized on for more restore points and or created a restore point, then its possible the target dates would be present.

Tekken

#9 Arlothia

Arlothia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:38 PM

Well, I've looked through that link and I've tried following the instructions about how to moderate restore points (both creating and deleting) and I get lost part of the way through because I don't think my version of windows is the same one they're basing their instructions off of. Now, I know a little bit ago, even after I got infected, I saw many restore points available to me but now I'm only seeing about three or four and I never touched any sort of moderating stuff. I've kept everything exactly the same. I've never touched system restore before this so I really have no idea what's going on.

Do you know how to check at what rate my computer is deleting system restore points?

Thanks,

A

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:32 PM

Do you know how to check at what rate my computer is deleting system restore points?

KsTBiuX.jpg

The configure and manage restore points slider would allow you to cover and or add more available dates. However, this would compromise hard drive capacity as windows usually automatically defines a certain percentage of the total capacity of our drives.

Tekken

#11 Arlothia

Arlothia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:32 PM

Hey! Sorry for the long delay.

Anyway, thanks for this info, but I'm not sure how to get to that window. Sorry, I'm not very good at this part of the computer.

But on the up side it looks like my computer is keeping more restore points. I'm up to 7 now. But I still can't go back further than October 5...

And adjusting the Max Usage won't get me back any old restore points will it?

Thanks!

A

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users