Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Who's Up For Congressional Reform

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 974 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:57 PM

Congressional Reform For 2013

With the Affordable Healthcare Act all but a done deal and the dire straits our
Social Security Administration is headed I propose the following for Congress:

There will be no pensions without "Tenure". Any congressional participant will
receive a salary while in office and no pay when they are out of office.

Congress must contribute to Social Security and actively participate (past,present
and future). All Congressional Retirement Funds shall be moved to the Social Security
System immediately and all future funds will be allocated to Social Security to promote
unity between Congress and the American people. These funds may not be used for any other
purpose.

Congress may purchase their own Retirement Plan as other citizens do.

Congress will no longer be empowered to vote themselves a pay raise. Their pay will increase
by the lower of the CPI or 3%.

Congress will no longer have their own healthcare system and will have to have the same
healthcare system choices as the American people.

Congress will no longer be immune to certain laws and must equally abide by all laws they
impose on the citizenry.

Subsequently all contracts with past, present members of Congress will be null and void
at the end of the current year. The American people did not make any contracts with Congress
they made these for themselves.

Serving in Congress should be considered an honor not a career. Our Founding Fathers surely
had this vision of citizen legislators who would serve their term or terms and return home
and back to work.

These are my thoughts how about yours??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 spc3rd

spc3rd

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:10 AM

Sounds good, sikntired.

I would go a bit further...as far as Congressional pay raises.  They should ONLY receive the EXACT same percentage increase as they give disabled veterans and seniors (like myself).  One other noteworthy point is it seems our politicians are the "best money can buy."  Just do a search on the 50 richest members of Congress.  One of them (from Texas) has a net worth of over $294 million dollars!  It is no wonder the Congress is essentially run by the few, the rich, and socially-affluent.

When you have politicians and government officials who want for nothing;  Don't have to worry if they will have money to pay the rent next month; Have Secret Service protection around the clock, etc, etc...there's no way they can EVER even begin to understand what those of us in the common citizenry are faced with, much less...have the least bit of empathy.  A government that keeps trying to distance itself from the very citizens who have entrusted them to govern justly and ethically & keeps ceding itself more and more power to intrude in people's lives,  is only laying the groundwork for civil rebellion.  Anyone doubting that need only look at the history of various civilizations which have existed (and now exist) on the earth.  You can only screw-over the common person so long.  At some point...the citizenry will awaken to the fact they have nothing left to lose that isn't already forfeited to the government.

Instead of voting the rich and affluent into public office...why not vote in some barbers, hairstylists and taxicab drivers?  They at least...live in the real world...not hunkered down in some plush office being a chair-bound paper pusher.

Regards,

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

#3 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 974 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:00 PM

spc3rd,

You make some very profound and interesting scenarios. And as you state some of the wealthiest citizens hold congressional office. The expense of

running for elective office can be cost-prohibitive for your average citizen even though they may be equally qualified if not more so. I feel that in many

instances Congress loses touch with reality let alone constituents.

I would further suggest that "Term Limits" be set for all members much like the Presidency.

And then there are the "Lobbyists" . How do we deal with them and their large purse strings so as not to have any undo influence.

#4 spc3rd

spc3rd

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:39 PM

Hi again, sikntired,

The "Term Limits" idea could definitely be of value.  Some states, such as, the one I reside in limit the Governor's term to 4 years.  I do have an idea about dealing with lobbyists and PACS, but it would likely take considerable time and legislation to bring it to fruition.  (I doubt the politicians would even consider such legislation).

Remember how there is a question & a check-box on the Federal Income Tax Forms which asks if you want to donate $1.00 to the Presidential election campaign fund?  Why not have two specific funds...1 for the Presidency, and the other for congressional candidates?  If any individual or group wants to donate to ANY candidate, they would have to submit their donation to the appropriate fund.  They would not be able to donate directly to any candidate.  Political candidates would then receive equal disbursements from the appropriate fund.

Of course, the funds could only be used for legal campaign expenses.  (No paying "hush money" or hiring some slimeball to go and roll your opponent's yard with toilet paper during the night).  Strict monitoring/auditing of all disbursements to each candidate would need to be done so that every single dollar received and spent is accounted for.  There would also need to be significant penalties for any candidate found to be violating campaign fund distribution regulations.

This is just my own general idea of dealing with the financial issue.  It's just wishful thinking...at best...hardly practical.  At least for the most part, they don't throw you in the slammer for wishful thinking like this.  (Now, what did I do with that roll of toilet tissue I just swiped from the Federal Courthouse building???!!!). :hysterical:

Edited by spc3rd, 04 October 2013 - 05:40 PM.

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

#5 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 974 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:01 AM

Hi  spc3rd,

Your suggestions definitely have merit. Perhaps, as you've mentioned, when the populous has had enough then hopefully changes will occur. I just hope

that the American people will voice their disgust with Congress through 2014 elections as I intend to do. We cannot afford to be complacent.

Now, what did I do with that roll of toilet tissue I just swiped from the Federal Courthouse building???!!!). :hysterical:

You found toilet paper ?? I thought Federal Buildings were reserved for "Wiki-Leaks" :scratchhead:

#6 HonestAbe

HonestAbe

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:40 AM

I really dig this. Deffinatly smarter than what were doing now.

One thing's for sure: we need some kind of congressional reform. Something to keep these idiots from doing what they've been doing for so long.

"Cogeto Ergo Sum"
I think, therfore i am.
Guns dont kill people, stupid people kill people.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:43 PM

I am all for pay for perfermance the better you perform and by perform I mean adhering to campaign promises made to your constutients as being a key factor in your performance.  You say you will lower gas prices then do it, you say you will lower taxes do it, you say you wont listen to lobbyists then do it.  We elect you, and we control your pay.  If you dont perform like you said you would you are out in 2 years, and all your lifetime benefits are instantly revoked.  You must then join the private sector or perform a job in the public sector with no job that could impact funding to contracts and other things.  Your job role would be that of a technician or something non-manager like.

#8 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,630 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:55 AM

I'll begin with a caveat: I sort of gave up on the whole idea of ever reforming government.

On the other hand there are a lot of sound ideas in this thread to at least point in that direction, but alas, the people who will be responsible for legislating and implementing said reforms are the same people for whom those reforms are meant to curb. See the problem?

Term limits? Nah. They won't work. A wise man in another forum I was on often reminded us when the subject came up that "you can't clean up a brothel by filling it with virgins".  A crude metaphor,  yes,  but very true.

One thing that would make me smile is to have all "Truth in Advertising" laws apply to political campaigns. Imagine the hillarity that would ensue if that ever happens.

To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#9 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 974 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:47 PM

Well, being an "optimist", I can't think of anything worse than being complacement and settling for the "status quo". Reform comes about through diligence and perseverance ( what ye sow, shall ye reap ). Many are of the same opinion that we, as a country, are headed in the wrong direction and the ship needs to be righted.

"the people who will be responsible for legislating and implementing said reforms are the same people for whom those reforms are meant to curb. See the problem?"

This analogy is understood. However they must be held accountable for their performance during their tenure and if unsatisfactory bid them "adios".

With regards to " you can't clean up a brothel by filling it with virgins". But we can make it too costly to operate.

#10 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,630 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:58 PM

"However they must be held accountable for their performance during their tenure and if unsatisfactory bid them "adios".

If only that would happen. There is a strange disconnect between what the electorate feels towards congress as a whole, and how they perceive their particular representative. In short,according to this poll, my representive is a great guy, its the rest of them who are bums. As long as that attitude continues, it will be business as usual.

And the most basic reason why things will never change that much is simply based on what it is that congress does, day in and day out. They have the power to take from some, in order to give it to others, and keep a nice percentage for themselves. As long as that power is in their hands, expect more of the same.

I know where this discussion is meandering to. 'If we only had the right people'. The problem with that is that 'people' suffle off this mortal coil, and we are left with repeating Diogenes' task of walking the streets at high noon with a lamp in our hands, looking for honest men.
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#11 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 974 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:55 PM

While there will never be a 'political utopia' in my time on 'terra firma' that does not preclude those who aspire for change and are willing to pursue those goals and challenges. Many have a general distrust of the integrity or professional motives of incumbent members of congress.

A recent poll conducted by a major network showed that voters are so disenchanted that 60% of the respondents favored firing all of congress. This is a clear indication that perhaps the days of the 'good ole boy' cronyism may be at an end. People are 'fed up' and rightfully so!

"It's my fate to steal," pleaded the man who had been caught red-handed by Diogenes.

"Then it is also your fate to be beaten," said Diogenes, hitting him across the head with his staff.

#12 82_bleepingirl

82_bleepingirl

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:13 PM

Ya'll have great ideas. But how do you suppose they could ever have a hope in being implemented, considering our two party system is in name only and in reality is just "one" running the entire show? The problem is, most people buy the lie that there are some good men with the right priorities to vote for.. Nope.. sorry to inform ya'll but they are laughing at our stupidity.. and we really are stupid not being able to connect the dots. When our priorities became same sex marriage, gay rights and abortion on demand.. all became lost.

#13 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:32 AM

@82_beepingirl

My Pa always stressed to me that you never talk in public the RPS...Religion...Politics...Sex. Why? Because someone always winds up angry or hurt. My Pa's simple way of looking at life...I don't do it out of respect but ...I need to speak...

You would be more than welcome in my house, because my door is open to all, regardless of race, colour, or creed. But I don't think you would stay, because not only do they not think like you but they have life-styles you would not agree with. I see them as wonderful people ..  you see them as the problem with society.  And when one sees others as the problem of society... Wars Begin, to get rid of the problem. When will society learn?

I leave you with this

#14 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:03 AM

the people who will be responsible for legislating and implementing said reforms are the same people for whom those reforms are meant to curb. See the problem?

This is the number one reason that TRUE reform will never happen. It will likely take a total collapse of our system to get anything different than what we have now, and if that happens, we will ALL be paying a heavy price. There are a handful of politicians that do seem to get it, but they are overrun by the machine and are basically ineffective. It's really sad. Our country and its people have so much potential to be greater than we have ever been and our own government is holding us back in the name of "progress", creating a government-dependant society, further ensuring their re-election. "Look what I can give you!!" wins votes from the uninformed, and there seems to be lots of them. Quit giving out so much and let people earn it fairly and keep most of it. I don't mind paying taxes at all for the few things that government SHOULD be providing, but when half of my earnings are eaten by taxes and insurance, something is horribly wrong.

And don't even get me going about Obamacare.....

After the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box...

#15 82_bleepingirl

82_bleepingirl

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:03 PM

Obamacare was the final nail in Americas coffin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users