Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop shut down, no response. Power cord light blinking.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 forest bayou

forest bayou

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:26 PM

Got a month old Dell Inspiron 15n running (or not running, as the case may be) Windows 7. My three year old was playing on it today (yeah, I know. There's my problem.) when it just quit. I find a puddle of drool on the mouse pad. In my defense, the three-yr-old hasn't drooled on anything in over a year.  I cleaned it up and tried to turn back on. The computer was plugged in, yet showed no signs of life; no lights or sounds no matter what I did. So I let it dry out. Still no life. 

Here's the weird thing: The power cord light blinks. We have 2 power cords for the computer, Dell originals, one left over from a previous Inspiron 15. There's a green light on the converter part of each cord. When it's plugged in to the wall, but not the computer, the light is a solid green. When we plug in the cord to the computer, the light on one of the cords starts blinking. The other cord light blinks once and then shuts off.  Is this related?

BTW, the kid was playing on pbskids.org with the parent controls on.

Thanks for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:32 PM

Since this lap top is covered under warranty, I would highly advise that you send it back to Dell for warranty work since its still covered.

#3 myopinion

myopinion

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:44 PM

I doubt those cords are interchangeable so I would advise against doing that again. I agree with cryptodan that sending it back under warranty may be the best recourse at this time; however, make sure you clean out all that drool before doing so unless you have that additional "accidental warranty" included in you protection package. Good luck.

#4 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:40 PM

The only caveat about sending the system back to Dell, is that you may not get any of your data back, after the computer is repaired or replaced. If you have stuff on there you want to save, consider using a Linux LiveCD like Puppy Linux or some other Linux distribution to copy your data to an external storage device before you send off your laptop. You can also use a USB adapter to connect your drive to another computer for a data transfer.

Edited by slgrieb, 03 October 2013 - 08:44 PM.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users