Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

err...I'm back; ati 4850 problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 RAIN7MAN

RAIN7MAN

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:41 PM

Just updated to win7 to try and wipe out a vista update loop that wouldn't die.  Oneof4 spent many days working it, and I ran out of time.   Now the catalyst center shows nothing but CPU data.  No video cards.   Dev mgr says something about corrupt files.  I have uninstalled the drivers, but this does not seem to change anything.  I have updated the drivers, but this too has no affect.  I uninstalled and tried driver sweeper, with no change.  Driver sweeper choked.  Instructions for manually removing files from registry look very risky.  Any ideas?

thx :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:46 PM

Where are you getting the drivers, how are you trying to remove them, and driver sweeper has been discontinued.

#3 RAIN7MAN

RAIN7MAN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:46 PM

Got the drivers from ATI download.   Win7 tells me they are up to date.  Didn't know driver sweeper was discontinued since...there it was ready to download.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:50 PM

How are you trying to install the drivers after you download them from http://www.amd.com?

#5 RAIN7MAN

RAIN7MAN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:24 PM

Well, I start by clicking 'install.'  :guitar:

Then I moved on to the other efforts listed in my first post.  I can also add that I was having regular crashes after first upgrading to 7.  Windows would crash if it went into hibernation, restart, and leave a shut-down message.  That seems to have stopped, as has going into hibernation - it doesn't do that anymore.

I should also add that I have the hd 4850's crossfire.  No evidence they are functioning in xf mode.  I'm assuming at least one of the cards is functional because I have vid display.

Edited by RAIN7MAN, 03 October 2013 - 07:27 PM.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:30 PM

I would remove one of the cards, and try each one separately to determine the faulty card.

#7 RAIN7MAN

RAIN7MAN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:40 PM

Have you concluded that one of the cards is faulty?  I can't even get the catalyst software to show the video cards at all.  It only shows CPU performance.  Before the win7 upgrade I could see and control many aspects of the two cards via the catalyst software.  Seem like more going on here than a faulty card.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:07 PM

Well that is part of the troubleshooting process is to remove one card test it and then put the other card back in and test it then reverse the slots for which the cards are in.

#9 RAIN7MAN

RAIN7MAN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:22 AM

Yes, that is a logical approach.   The cards were both working perfectly in Vista.  Since it has resulted from the upgrade to Win7 I'm thinking it must be software related. 

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:44 PM

So can you try each card separately?

#11 RAIN7MAN

RAIN7MAN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:59 PM

How about I disable them one at a time through the device manager.  Will that help?  I'm writing contracts this week and really can't break the thing down exploring.  Perhaps later in the month.

So...I uninstalled and re-installed drivers downloaded from AMD spec for the HD 4850's.  The install indicated installed correctly.  The dev mgr indicates all is well and up to date.  Yet I know something is not right because I cannot access them via catalyst.  So, I disable them both via dev mgr.  Nothing happens.  They are disabled, yet I have video.  Monitor is plugged into the lower card.  How is this possible I wonder?

Edited by RAIN7MAN, 04 October 2013 - 07:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users