Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard drive - Beeping and clicking

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Archista

Archista

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:33 PM

Hi there!

Recently my 1year old external iomega (320GB) has started a strange beeping followed by clicking sound every couple seconds after a few minutes of being used.

Also I think it's wise to mention that I need to reboot pc for it to not start beep/clicking straight away as It does if I simply plug it into my live desktop PC.

At first I thought it was failing, but I realised it resembles exactly this problem :)

(you may see my comment describing my problem in the youtube link also).

So it would seem it could be a power supply issue. However my dual USB cable has no apparent flaws and if plugged into any other PC than my desktop, the hard drive works perfectly...

Am I right in guessing this might be my motherboard USB ports or my power supply unit not dishing out enough for it to run?

However my other usb devices all work fine...

Please help!

EDIT:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/mqVhc0zFqJsrEZ52XcAEoY4

Spoiler

Edited by Archista, 03 October 2013 - 07:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:52 PM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#3 myopinion

myopinion

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:40 PM

In addition to cryptodan's suggestion, if you are sure the clicking is coming from an external mechanical hard drive then I would advise you to start transferring your data elsewhere while you still can. It really sounds like a mechanical malfunction that is only going to get worse over time but I could be wrong. However, better safe than sorry. Good luck.

Edited by myopinion, 03 October 2013 - 06:40 PM.

#4 Archista

Archista
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:41 PM

In addition to cryptodan's suggestion, if you are sure the clicking is coming from an external mechanical hard drive then I would advise you to start transferring your data elsewhere while you still can. It really sounds like a mechanical malfunction that is only going to get worse over time but I could be wrong. However, better safe than sorry. Good luck.

It's done :) Thanks

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/mqVhc0zFqJsrEZ52XcAEoY4

Edited by Archista, 03 October 2013 - 06:43 PM.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:45 PM

I can see that you are running a lot of devices from the USB Ports, and that can cause a power supply issue on your USB Hard drive. Can you provide us the model number of the power supply on this desktop?

#6 Archista

Archista
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:49 PM

Model LPG12 550W

I've played around with my internal HD, set it to MASTER... For some reason it was set as SLAVE.

Somehow seems to have -for the moment- rectified the problem.... (?)

Ran a test using Seagates' SeaTools for Windows and HD passed.

External HD not beep/clicking so far...

Edited by Archista, 03 October 2013 - 06:50 PM.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:54 PM

What is the exact model number of your video card, so I can look up the power requirements, because I just looked at your power supply specifications and well I think that maybe the issue of your power supply issues.

#8 Archista

Archista
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:16 PM

What is the exact model number of your video card, so I can look up the power requirements, because I just looked at your power supply specifications and well I think that maybe the issue of your power supply issues.

Well there goes a first crash while playing a game from the external hd. However it hasn't beep/clicked at all since setting internal HD to master.

My video card is a Radeon HD 5770 - 512mb GDDR5...

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:23 PM

I would believe that your power supply is not adequate enough for your computer system as configured, because the HD5770 Video card requires at minimum per http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=643&pid=343&psn=&lid=1&leg=0# a 500 watt power supply. You have a 550w with 2 12v rails at 15 and 17 amps between them. I would recommend at least a 600 watt psu for your configuration.

Something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028

Edited by cryptodan, 03 October 2013 - 07:23 PM.

#10 Archista

Archista
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:32 PM

I would believe that your power supply is not adequate enough for your computer system as configured, because the HD5770 Video card requires at minimum per http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=643&pid=343&psn=&lid=1&leg=0# a 500 watt power supply. You have a 550w with 2 12v rails at 15 and 17 amps between them. I would recommend at least a 600 watt psu for your configuration.

Something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028

Noted. Yes, I updated bits and bobs along the way without worrying too much.

Well - hoping it'll hold on a little bit longer - Indeed I'm nearing that time when I must renew my rig. *sigh*

Extraordinarily enough though I'm still playing new games with decent settings :)

In the meantime the beeping seems to have subsided. So feel free to set as resolved.

Thankyou for the help.

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:38 PM

I looked at your system, and for now the only thing I would recommend updating is your power supply since it will be a vital roll in your other systems. It is rather cheap as well. I am using a 750 watt on my system with a Core i7 970 and a GTX 580 and it is still usable on future upgrades due to the wattage on the 12v rail.

That is all I can see that needs updated.

#12 myopinion

myopinion

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:38 PM

To follow up on cryptodan's last post, the maximum power requirement for the HD 5770 is 108 watts. So, that could be an issue but I (personally) would not go out and buy a new PSU to see if it fixes my clicking hard drive. Alternatively, if you really are leaning towards a USB power issue, then I would first invest in a (cheap) self powered USB hub to see if that helps. Also, that fact that "it crashed again" really leads me back to the hard drive starting to fail. I did some research on "Iomega external  hard drive clicking reports" and I found a few reviewers that claim to fix it temporarily by "letting the hard drive cool down for a while" and then it will work OK (for a while).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users