Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wi-Fi USB adapter is not recognized

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 blubblub

blubblub

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:11 PM

Dear madam/sir,

Recently I bought a Wi-Fi USB adapter from ICDU, but that gave me some problems. I then returned to the shop and switched it with another one, but that gives the same problem, so now I'm thinking it might be my PC.

The Wi-Fi USB adapter I bought is a Sitecom Dualband N600 -WLA-5100 (official site here), and I'm running Windows 8 on a desktop with a AsRock A75 Pro4 motherboard.

When I plug in the adapter I get the message 'USB device not recognized. The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it.".

I then look in the device manager to see that there is an unknown device. In the properties of this unknown device the status reads "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)" and under details the Harware Ids mentions "USB\DEVICE_DESCRIPTOR_FAILURE" (sorry about the caps, but it is how it's shown).

I downloaded the driver from the Sitecom website and also tried to use the 'Update driver' option in the Unknown device properties and browse to the folder with the drivers, but no luck either.

If I plug-in my USB flashdrive into the same port there are no problems, so I guess the USB port works fine.

Does anyone have any tips for me? Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheChunkWorld

TheChunkWorld

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:47 AM

Have you tried connecting it to a different USB port?

Also note this is a USB 2.0 device, so just to in case, make sure you're plugging it into a 2.0 port.

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:23 AM

Try removing the unknown device and any instance of usb hub/controllers (reboot) in device manager as specified in this link.

Important: If a USB device is generating the Code 43 error, uninstall every device under the Universal Serial Bus controllers hardware category in Device Manager as part of the driver reinstall. This includes any USB Mass Storage Device, USB Host Controller, and USB Root Hub.

Tekken

#4 blubblub

blubblub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:51 AM

Have you tried connecting it to a different USB port?

Also note this is a USB 2.0 device, so just to in case, make sure you're plugging it into a 2.0 port.

Try removing the unknown device and any instance of usb hub/controllers (reboot) in device manager as specified in this link.

Important: If a USB device is generating the Code 43 error, uninstall every device under the Universal Serial Bus controllers hardware category in Device Manager as part of the driver reinstall. This includes any USB Mass Storage Device, USB Host Controller, and USB Root Hub.

Thank you both for replying. Unfortunately I got ill and did not get around to test your suggestions until now. Unfortunately still no luck.

My ASRock A75 Pro4 has USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports, but none of them seem to work with this adapter, while other devices (mouse, keyboard and USB flash drives) work fine.

I also uninstalled all the controllers for all devices in the USB controllers, but that didn't work either.

Even stranger the adapter will also not work on my Windows 7 laptop and also not on another windows 7 laptop from my friend.

Could the device itself be faulty, or does the device somehow transfer the problem to the other laptops as well?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:57 PM

Hi, One quick question. How did You install the device?

many of the USB Wireless devices, As well as printers require You to install the software before you ever plug in the device. You plug the device in when the software says to plug it in.

Failing to follow that sequence will often result in a non functioning device.

If You plugged in the device first, Uninstall the software, The in Device manager uninstall everything USB. Restart the computer and install the software without plugging in the Device.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 blubblub

blubblub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:59 PM

Hi, One quick question. How did You install the device?

many of the USB Wireless devices, As well as printers require You to install the software before you ever plug in the device. You plug the device in when the software says to plug it in.

Failing to follow that sequence will often result in a non functioning device.

If You plugged in the device first, Uninstall the software, The in Device manager uninstall everything USB. Restart the computer and install the software without plugging in the Device.

Good Luck

Roger

Thanks Roger for your time and help. I also got a reply from Sitecom on this and they suggested to download the Realtek drivers, since that's the chipset their using. They gave me a link with the proper drivers there. So I did the following:

* Downloaded but did not install the realtek drivers

* Uninstalled the original software

* Uninstalled as much as I could under the USB (my keyboard and mouse are also USB, so when I uninstall those USB things I can't uninstall the others, I had four things still listed when I had to stop)

* Rebooted

* Installed the realtek driver and software

* Plugged in the adapter

Unfortunately it still does not work :(

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:14 PM

Try the device in a different computer if possible to locate the source of the problem to either the Wireless adapter or the computer having the problem.

When You took back the original did they give you the same make and model? It might be a USB controller in the computer and the adapter just do not get along.

For what it's worth I am using Netgear here. a R6200 router and a A6200 USB adapter and get really good speeds using the 5Ghz band. They are both 802.11ac http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11ac

I have high speed Internet. The results with the Netgear let me get the speed I'm paying for wirelessly.

I tend to stay with name brand for Wireless such as Netgear, Dlink, Cisco.

Good Luck

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#8 ChelseaWoolf

ChelseaWoolf

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:52 PM

First make sure you have installed the driver for the wifi usb connecto. some operating systems will not recognize it even though it's a usb device.

#9 blubblub

blubblub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:31 AM

Thanks for all the comments and help. I forgot a bit about it and in the mean time returned the USB device and instead got a PCI-e card. That now works fine. 

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:30 AM

Thank You for reporting back. I am happy to hear that You have solved Your problem.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#11 viktik

viktik

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 02:01 PM

Where is the driver cd for this device. Without driver it won't work.

if you could reurn it then do it.

get edimax or tplink. see their description and driver support

http://www.edimax.com/en/support_detail.php?pd_id=386&pl1_id=28&pl2_id=138

http://www.tp-link.in/products/?categoryid=240

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users