Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fn keys not working: Toshiba L775 on Win7 pro

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sameolsameo

sameolsameo

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:47 PM

(Moderator, Please move as appropriate if I've posted in the wrong forum.)

The computer was gifted to me just out of warranty, to meet an urgent need, when my own mobo crashed just as I was to leave for overseas.  Since reformatting and restoring via the onboard partition, the Fn keys do not work properly after the auto updates, though I have confirmed the settings in "Flash cards."  Toshiba "support" is hellacious.  Their pages indicate that TVAP (Toshiba Value Added Pack) is necessary first, then the function key utility.  That's nice to know, but even after dumping and reinstalling to be sure these went in proper sequence, the so called "flash cards" and Fn keys still don't perform as they ought.

Forums are full of similar complaints, with many worthless references to the Toshiba site-- that dumb thing tends to send a person in circles, and gives little clarity as to a driver's suitability for a particular model.  I've done the BIOS update and tried multiple combinations of drivers and patches.  In a couple of instances I can get about 1/2 the keys to work, but so far have not found the right combo for proper function.  Sometimes certain keys will work, other combinations activate different keys.  I used Advanced Uninstaller and CCleaner between installations, in order to catch anything that was being left behind.

Toshiba's own forums indicate that this is something of a hit-and-miss game!

Coming from old but reliable IBM units, I would have turned and run the other way if I could have when this was offered.  Unfortunately there wrere no options, leaving me to painfully recall why I have not owned another Toshiba since my first, 15yrs ago...  It lasted all of 2 years;. Support was perhaps better then, but only slightly if so.

Looking forward to a quick and proper fix,

SOS

Additional:  The original OS was Win 7 home premium 64 bit, upon reformatting we upgraded to Win 7 pro 64.  But the problems did not evidence until after the computer did it's auto update stuff.  We disabled everything we could imagine might be related but without success....

Edited by sameolsameo, 03 October 2013 - 04:47 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 681 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:34 AM

Do the Fn keys work in Safe mode?

Do they work if you boot from a Live CD (or USB)?

#3 myopinion

myopinion

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:36 AM

Response withdrawn.

Edited by myopinion, 04 October 2013 - 09:37 AM.

#4 myopinion

myopinion

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:50 AM

Just a sanity check here. You made reference to "FN Keys" (plural); however, when I look at your owner's manual, it states there is only "one" FN key that can be used in combination with other keys. So, do you have more than one FN key? Or are you referring to the F1 through F12 function keys? Also, are you trying to use the FN + some other key by depressing both at the same time or are you trying to depress FN (release) and then depress a second key? If the latter, your owner's manual states that you will need to start the Toshiba Accessibility Utility to make the FN key into a sticky key.

#5 sameolsameo

sameolsameo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:18 PM

Sorry, I wrote a reply a couple of weeks ago but see now that it never posted.  In fact, our internet went down as I was sending, and remained inaccessible for several days....  After that, I was in an accident which has hindered me greatly.  Thankfully, only a broken foot -- and lots of inconvenience and lost time.

Meantime, THE ISSUE IS RESOLVED!  :clapping:

Thank you both for your replies. 

@ myopinion, re the sanity check, you are absolutely correct: I meant "F keys," meaning those numbered across the top, not Fn keys. 

@ SpywareDoc: I know about Safe Mode booting but somehow overlooked that.  Booting from a disk the "flash card" would not appear.

While searching another forum, I found many similar complaints but no solution.  I did happen across an unrelated issue that mentioned having found a driver on Toshiba's European site.  Indeed, i went there and found my own solution!  The model numbers are slightly different, but the base series are close enough to have succeeded in my case as well as the post I got this from.

Allow me to post the link for something far more comprehensive and intelligent than the US site http://www.toshiba.eu/innovation/download_drivers_bios.jsp?service=EU

Perhaps the moderators can post a sticky or whatever you think appropriate for others...

Edited by sameolsameo, 23 October 2013 - 04:27 PM.

#6 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 681 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:05 AM

Great to hear the problem's been resolved. And, thanks for posting the solution that worked for you. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users