Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DOS by USB - problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Barnack

Barnack

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:44 PM

After i've read many guides, using the program called "Bootable USB Drive Creator Tool", i made an USB pendrive with DOS inside. Now the pendrive is correctly recognized as a boot disk. So, to test it, at computer starting, instead of select the Windows ME hard-disk (that currently doesn't work), i selected the USB pendrive "Kingston".

But instead of read the DOS files, the computer does nothing. (the used pendrive usually lights when files are read or written).

I see just as follows:

j_

any A:/ , B:/ , C:/ , D:/ , E:/ , F:/ ,

anythig works on the keyboard, apart Control+Alt+Canc, that set off the computer.

What should i do to make mine USB-DOS work correctly?

---edit---

i tested the pendrive in another computer, and the dos starts without problems...

Edited by Barnack, 04 October 2013 - 12:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 milon

milon

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:08 AM

That's a strange problem.  Good to know that it boots DOS on another computer.

What is the hardware of the computer that boots DOS from the USB drive?

What is the hardware of the computer that does not boot DOS from the USB drive?

#3 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:41 PM

What version of DOS did you put on your pen drive.  If you used a new one, guess what, ME wont read it, doesnt know what it is.  Plus what BIOS.CMOS do you have on your broken computer.  Look on the mother board, is the CMOS battery on there still.  If so, does it hold a charge.  With a system this old, could be the CMOS battery is dead (looks like a watch battery), just ideas would need more info.  PS you should never get a B drvie... I know you were saying IE whatever, but just so you know... B drive is as old as a Apple 2E

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#4 Barnack

Barnack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:18 AM

Problem solved with a bios update. Thanky you however

#5 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:58 PM

good to hear, if BIOS starts to act weird, you might need the chipset drivers as well.  Usually you load those first then BIOS, but if its working then dont fix what aint broke. 

If you need anything else please let us know.

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users