Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen After Installing Video Card Drivers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TGIMike

TGIMike

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:42 AM

Title basically explains all. I  think it is because of my onboard video card interfering. Please Help. Thanks in advanced. -Mike

Edit: Let me be more specific. When i first inserted the graphics card everything was working....alright. Then when i downloaded the recommended drivers and booted up my comp. there was a black screen. The black screen occurs once it gets past the windows logo. Once it gets past that my monitor displays "No Signal". I have had this problem before but it was because, well on of the reasons, my PSU was too low at 300 watts. I have upgraded to a 500 watt psu not too long ago and everything seemed fine until i installed drivers. I cannot do practically ANYTHING without those drivers. If i try to launch a game it gives me an error. If i try to change settings it says there is no graphics / video card installed. I really want to know how to disable my onboard video card. I don't know how to get into the BIOS ad disable it. Thanks in advance again! -Mike

EDIT:EDIT: Here are just some specs you MIGHT need to know. 

Operating System: Windows 7 64bit (sp1)

• Antivirus Software
    Windows Defender (something like that ;p)
  • Firewall
    Windows
  •  
  • CPU
    AMD A6-3620 APU
  •  
  • Ram
    DDR3 8 gigs
  •  
  • Video Card
    GeForce GT 620 ECS 1024mb DDR3
  •  
  • Power Supply
    Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 550W

Edited by TGIMike, 03 October 2013 - 11:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:34 PM

Any current motherboard will detect a video card installed in the system and use it as the default display adapter. When you first installed the video card, you apparently didn't have to change any BIOS settings to get it to work, right? Otherwise, you wouldn't be asking questions about changing the BIOS settings to get your card working now.

So, you are left with two possibilities: you might have a lousy video driver, or a bad video card. Since you've got onboard video, pull your video adapter, boot into Windows, and use System Restore to return your computer to a state before you updated the video drivers. Reboot the computer and see if everything's working OK, then shut down, Reinstall your graphics card and see what happens. If you still have no video output from the card, the logical explanation would be that the card has failed.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#3 TGIMike

TGIMike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:05 PM

Any current motherboard will detect a video card installed in the system and use it as the default display adapter. When you first installed the video card, you apparently didn't have to change any BIOS settings to get it to work, right? Otherwise, you wouldn't be asking questions about changing the BIOS settings to get your card working now.

So, you are left with two possibilities: you might have a lousy video driver, or a bad video card. Since you've got onboard video, pull your video adapter, boot into Windows, and use System Restore to return your computer to a state before you updated the video drivers. Reboot the computer and see if everything's working OK, then shut down, Reinstall your graphics card and see what happens. If you still have no video output from the card, the logical explanation would be that the card has failed.

It did detect my video card before. The video card was detected once but it only worked for like 1 hour then i god a BSOD. And no i did not mess with anything in the BIOS. Another thing is could you tell me how to disable my onboard graphics card on my cpu? I think it might be interfering with the other video card. I will also try what you said up above and install different drivers. Thank you for your reply! -Mike  :tophat:

#4 TGIMike

TGIMike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:03 PM

It did detect my video card before. The video card was detected once but it only worked for like 1 hour then i god a BSOD. And no i did not mess with anything in the BIOS. Another thing is could you tell me how to disable my onboard graphics card on my cpu? I think it might be interfering with the other video card. I will also try what you said up above and install different drivers. Thank you for your reply! -Mike  :tophat:

Sorry for double reply if that is your pet peeve ;p. But i did get some "progress" i guess you could call it. I did what you said before and reinstalled all of my drivers and with DriverSweeper. It did boot up fine and I got to my desktop....Well i got to use my desktop for about 2 mins anyways. As i was on my computer i opened up XSplit to take a screenshot of my pc and tell you everything is good so far....Then my monitor went black and said no signal. But before when it was working i went to properties under the "Change Screen Resolution" tab. It said that the graphics card i was using WAS the graphics card that i was currently using at that time. Thanks for all support so far. -Mike (PS do you think lowering my resolution in safe mode would do anything?)

Edited by TGIMike, 04 October 2013 - 07:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users