Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tuner/capture Cards

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 qwest212

qwest212

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 27 April 2006 - 06:16 PM

I want a card that can tune to cable and record and all that, but I also want it to be able to take in audio/video from a VCR and record that. For a practical example, I want to record Adult Swim at night AND archive my collection of DBZ tapes.

My problem is, I don't neccessarily know what to look for. I've been looking at cards at newegg.com and I see that they have capture in the name but only tuner in the spec's. Should I be looking for an AV-input enabled mpeg encoder card? And, what are some cheap solutions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 28 April 2006 - 06:41 AM

Hi qwest212.
For your particular application, I'd go with the ATI TV Wonder Pro.
It'll allow you view and record live television.
It has all the needed audio\video hookups and software as well.
The problem with most capture cards is they don't detect all makes and models of hardware. (like vcr's).
One card will detect this HW only, another card that HW only, etc.
With the ATI card, even if it can't see your vcr when it's directly connected to it, you just play the tape and record through the television instead. Your covered either way.
They're priced around $65.00 US

Edited by HitSquad, 28 April 2006 - 06:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users