Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse Problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dodgysmalls

dodgysmalls

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:55 PM

Mod Edit:  Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/507190/cpu-lag-spikes-when-moving-mouse/ - Hamluis.

I have the exact same issue and (disturbingly enough) have almost the exact same system specs as you.

i5-2500k @ ~3.6ghz

(AMD) 6870

I bought a razer:deathadder to replace my insanely old junk microsoft mouse, I believe that these problems started when I installed the drivers but I cannot be absolutely certain as I didn't notice it for a little while.

I tried uninstalling the razer drivers and I'm currently running the mouse on the default MS mouse drivers (the generic ones that activate when no alternative driver is found) with the exact same issue and, unfortunately enough, even with the drivers uninstalled and a different mouse I appear to have the same issue.

I get the feeling that it is somehow correlated to my gpu though, because the cpu spike is specifically (if and only if) my mouse is hovering over the desktop space. If I cover both my monitors with windows of any process (games, command prompt, explorer windows, etc) then no-matter how many mouse events I create explorer.exe hovers at less than 1% (as it probably always should). This idea is furthered by the fact that on my main monitor which runs at 60hz the cpu spikes to roughly 15%, whereas on my side monitor which runs at some lower maximum hz the cpu spikes to roughly 8%. I find it highly likely that there is some correlation, but it's extremely hard to determine where the problem actually lies, as I think it originated from razer's software but now appears to remain even after the drivers are gone without a trace.

I'd be happy to troubleshoot if someone more knowledgeable about such things is available, I'm more than happy to investigate further as I find this rather intriguing.

Initially I assumed I'd be able to figure it out by creating a dump of explorer.exe through process explorer but that has proved fruitless as I don't know what information to scan for in such a large binary.

edit: sorry to bump a few week old topic though!

Edited by hamluis, 03 October 2013 - 05:13 AM.
PM sent new OP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:17 PM

Try this tutorial using DPC Latency Checker.

Tekken

#3 dodgysmalls

dodgysmalls
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:11 PM

Thanks for the suggestion jhayz, I'll see what I can find!

(given that I know nothing about the process of polling a mouse)

From this tutorial I can only assume that my problem is not related to the "DPC latency"

Though I did get an absolute maximum of 360 microseconds (which appears to be slightly outside the "safe" parameters) after running the program for about 30 minutes.

Edited by dodgysmalls, 03 October 2013 - 02:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users