Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Request for help with backing up to removable media

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 leonard b.

leonard b.

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:20 AM

Hi. New here. I'm a Mac user trying to prepare a PC for donation to charity.

The PC, which has a 20 GB hard drive, is running Windows 98 SE (4.10.2222). We want to copy the Hard Drive for use on another computer, then remove and store the original drive before giving the computer away.

Using Microsoft Backup, the computer recognized the removable media (USB Flash Drive) and began copying files. After 4 GB were copied, it stopped and asked for new media to be inserted. The Flash Drive has a capacity of 32 GB. Again, the hard drive is only 20 GB and has less than 17 GB of data on it. Everything should fit.

I tried this twice with a clean drive. Both times the computer paused for new media at 4 GB.

Any thoughts as to what's going on here?

Very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Leonard B.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ironpenguin

ironpenguin

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:13 AM

So, pretty sure what your hitting is an issue from the filesystem of win98 being FAT32, it has a maximum file size limit of 4 gigabytes. A problem solved from win2000 and ahead by the NTFS filesystem.

USB drives come with FAT as their filesystem by default, so that would probably be why you are having issues.

Im admittedly not terribly familiar with win98, but from what ive gathered after reading up on the issue, the problem is able to be solved by using a better backup utility then windows backup.

Acebackup 3 should do the job. It is compatible with win98, free, and after testing it a bit (on my vista install) dosent backup into a single giant file, so it should avoid the 4 gigabyte limit you seem to have run into.

Cant guarantee anything due to lack of familiarity with win98, but im pretty sure it will work.

#3 leonard b.

leonard b.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:34 AM

Thank you. I'll give that a try and will report back. I suspected that there might be some sort of file-size limitation, but don't know the platform at all, having only used Windows in various workplaces that had tech people to do all the maintenance/backup work.

L.B.

#4 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:48 PM

Using the WIN98-SE Backup program, what you do is limit the amount of each Backup file to less than 4 Gig. i.e. copy things in parts, using as many Backup files as you need to cover the total size of all the files you want to backup.

#5 Erin Walsh

Erin Walsh

• Banned Spammer
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:48 AM

Right.  With the size you are working with, it may require your breaking the data into chunks for extended storage capability and accessibility once you have it sufficiently stored.  I use extended hard drives quite a bit and have been able to successfully format them upon purchase and partition them for specific functions (i.e. storing information from a Windows system, as well as from my MOS).  Let us know how it works out for you.  It's good to compare notes and experiences here.  Thanks, BC :clapping:

#6 leonard b.

leonard b.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:18 PM

Thank you, JHMcG and BC, for the replies. I have been away, and read, but did not acknowledge JHMcG's answer previously. Sorry it's taken me so long.

This all makes perfect sense, though it would have been rather complicated and time consuming for me in a busy season. In the end, with the project interrupted several times already, I opted to simply remove the hard drive and donate the computer as planned. I then put the drive in an external enclosure and used my Mac to copy the data to the 32 GB flash drive. Not a perfect solution, but at least we have the original files.

#7 leonard b.

leonard b.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:21 PM

p.s.: I didn't find a "solved" button on the page, or I would have so marked the original question.

#8 Erin Walsh

Erin Walsh

• Banned Spammer
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:04 PM

Appreciate your getting back with the fix you ended up going with.  It's good to know how you got the computer donated and were able to save the data, as well.  Have a Great, Giving, Season!

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 26 December 2013 - 05:37 AM

Great to see you solved it -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users