Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

charger not working (HP Probook 4535S)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ZeroCore

ZeroCore

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:09 PM

Recently, I've occasionally had problems with my laptop's charger, namely that it won't register that the charger is connected to the computer even after I connect it.

HOWEVER,

I can get the laptop to run off of the charger if I take out the battery and run the laptop with only the charger plugged in (however if I put the battery back in after trying to boot up/run with only the charger powering it, the computer stops recognizing that the charger is there and only says that it's running on the battery). I'm not sure if this is a hardware or software malfunction and any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Also, it is worth noting that there is no damage to the charger or charger socket or battery.

Edited by ZeroCore, 02 October 2013 - 11:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:08 AM

Hmmm, is the battery not charging then? What is the current power level of the battery?

#3 ZeroCore

ZeroCore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:25 PM

Hmmm, is the battery not charging then? What is the current power level of the battery?

currently, it's at 100%.

For some reason the charger started working after I messed around with the battery. This has happened before too, but it never is reliable anymore; sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

Also, the charger will power the laptop IF I start the laptop without the battery in it. Also, I can run the laptop with the battery as long as the charger isn't connected.

BUT, if I plug the charger into the laptop if the battery is plugged in (as of the past week or so) I can't usually get the computer to continue acknowledging the charger. Also, if I start the computer on the charger without the battery connected and then plug the battery in, it will stop acknowledging the charger.

This has happened when the battery was on a variety of levels, and only sometimes now can I get the computer to acknolwedge the charger while the battery is connected (needless to say, it's not supposed to do this, and I've called HP and asked on their forums; no one there is willing to help or even knows what to do).

#4 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:19 PM

Have you tried playing with the cord on the charger? Could it possibly be a loose or broken wire in the cord?

I would suspect the battery more than the charger- however, you can replace the charger fairly cheaply. I wouldn't recommend a universal (nonbrand/generic) charger, but some people swear by them. Just make sure the input/output matches what your laptop needs.

Personally, if the battery is getting charged- if it isn't dead in a week- and you are able to run the laptop off the charger in any event- I would hesitate to change anything. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

#5 ZeroCore

ZeroCore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:38 PM

Have you tried playing with the cord on the charger? Could it possibly be a loose or broken wire in the cord?

I would suspect the battery more than the charger- however, you can replace the charger fairly cheaply. I wouldn't recommend a universal (nonbrand/generic) charger, but some people swear by them. Just make sure the input/output matches what your laptop needs.

Personally, if the battery is getting charged- if it isn't dead in a week- and you are able to run the laptop off the charger in any event- I would hesitate to change anything. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I have, and I've also run a diagnostic on both; both work fine.

I'm thinking this is a driver malfunction or some other kind of software error now, to be honest, however I have no idea where on this site to ask for help on such a thing.

Edited by ZeroCore, 04 October 2013 - 07:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users