Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

For re-installing OS's, what are drivers?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tragedy1191

Tragedy1191

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:46 PM

For any windows OS, I always hear when re-installing an OS that I might have to download the drivers again. Can anyone explain and go in depth what the drivers are and where I can download them? 

thanks a bunch

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:22 PM

The manufacturing support site of your computer is the direct download site. Dell, HP, Lenovo, Acer, Gateway, etc. are some of the common sites for ready built OEM computers as motherboards are excluded since they belong to usually custom built desktops. Some or most newer OEM laptops comes with recovery discs or partition made for the particular model that includes the complete setup of pre-installed programs, drivers usually called returning to Factory Condition or System Recovery. Please post the computer brand and model next time.

Tekken

#3 ranchhand1

ranchhand1

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:31 PM

The OS drivers (sometimes called Chipset drivers) are the software programs that are installed onto your operating system after it is first installed on the hard drive. They enable the OS to more effectively operate the Frontside Bus (which is the connection pipeline between the video and CPU), the integrated sound for your system, Video drivers, USB ports, and other vital system services. These drivers used to be loaded on a CD that came with a new retail computer. These retail computer manufacturers now save the cost of a CD by creating a system restore partition on your hard drive containing the drivers. The bad side of this is that in order to access the OS drivers for reinstall, the entire OS must be also wiped and reinstalled, thus loosing all data and programs. And...if your hard drive dies...you lost everything. The American consumer get screwed again. This is another reason to regularly back up your operating system to an external drive. If you build your own computer you have the advantage (among many others!) of having these on a CD that comes with your new motherboard.

Drivers for motherboards and retail computers can usually be downloaded from the manufacturer's website. However, this is "iffy" and I have had the experience many times when servicing computers that the older units may have missing drivers that are needed, incorrect drivers for certain features that won't install, or they install but do not work, or the manufacturer doesn't keep the listing current so the computer owner is out of luck. Don't depend on driver downloads. Keep copies of the ones you have at all cost.

#4 jraju1954

jraju1954

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:42 PM

To be precise, Windows Operating system is developed by microsoft and it is installed to operate the programs installed to work correctly. The drivers for these will be either can be downloaded and updated automatically if the operating system is windows 7 and for windows xp, you have to install all the drivers that came with the computer at the time of installations. Like audio video drivers, ethrnet drivers for which hardware support is given at the time of assembling or if its a company product, they supply the drivers in cd format. Now win 7 automatically install drivers automatically detecting the hardwares attached to a system. Some drivers updates, which are not available in windows updates, these could be downloaded directly from the manufac. sites

#5 Tragedy1191

Tragedy1191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:11 AM

Please post the computer brand and model next time.

This was actually just a general question.

Thanks for the in depth look guys. So if I were to re install an OS for a client, and assuming I don't have the CD's, do i just download an OS from a torrent and burn it to a cd?

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:03 AM

So if I were to re install an OS for a client, and assuming I don't have the CD's, do i just download an OS from a torrent and burn it to a cd?

The client should have its own CD installers unless they want to order or purchase one from a retail store. What you should know about possible infections using P2P programs and Windows Piracy regarding EULA.

Edited by jhayz, 03 October 2013 - 04:47 AM.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users