Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Heard a loud pop, laptop immediately shuts down when unplugged.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ketsujo

Ketsujo

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:31 PM

I have a Toshiba Satellite A305-S6916 laptop running Windows Vista. The other night I heard a loud popping noise that sounded like it came from inside the laptop. It kept working just fine, but today after I unplugged it to move it, it immediately shut down. I plugged it back in after moving it, after a moment the "plugged in" light on the front came back on, but the charging icon didn't. I turned it back on while plugged in and hovered over the battery icon, it says "Plugged in, not charging" and I tried reinstalling the ACPI Control through the device manager to no avail. The battery seems like it's draining, as it went from 91% to 90% while I was doing this. It's turned off at the moment, I'm using another family member's laptop to write this up. I wanted to ask here before assuming that it's due to a dead battery, I looked into the popping noise, and to me it sounded like a capacitor blowing (although it doesn't smell like ammonia), but I honestly have no idea. I'm really at a loss right now and I'd appreciate any insight you guys can offer. If it helps, I recently had to replace the fan (a few days ago) and prior to that it was left off for about 4 days while I was waiting for an ESD band I'd ordered to arrive. I was able to replace the fan with no problems, I'm positive that I put everything back together properly. Took pictures of every step and it worked flawlessly for a couple days until I heard the pop. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this, hopefully with your help I'm able to diagnose and fix the problem.

Edit: I've had the laptop for over 4 years now, and it only held a charge for about 20 minutes unplugged, so it very well may be the battery, but is there any reason why the battery would pop loudly upon failure? Thanks again for any insight.

Edited by Ketsujo, 02 October 2013 - 10:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:49 AM

Backup your data, first and foremost!

A short or power surge could have caused a cap to pop on the motherboard, but if you are still able to boot up I'd say something blew in the battery.

If you haven't already, try removing the battery and do an inspection of the power leads (looks like a metal comb) for any sign of scorching. Then try booting the laptop. If it runs fine without the battery it's probably just a bad battery.

#3 Ketsujo

Ketsujo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:47 PM

Backup your data, first and foremost!

A short or power surge could have caused a cap to pop on the motherboard, but if you are still able to boot up I'd say something blew in the battery.

If you haven't already, try removing the battery and do an inspection of the power leads (looks like a metal comb) for any sign of scorching. Then try booting the laptop. If it runs fine without the battery it's probably just a bad battery.

I'm not seeing any scorching on the power leads, but I've been using my laptop without the battery in since last night and everything seems to be working as it should. I usually keep the laptop plugged in anyway, so if the only problem is the battery I think I'll just go without it. If I have any further problems I'll open it back up and inspect the caps, but so far it seems fine. If I do have any more issues, it seems like a good opportunity to learn how to solder anyway, haha. Thanks a lot for the reply, Netghost. I really appreciate it.

Edited by Ketsujo, 03 October 2013 - 01:48 PM.

#4 TheChunkWorld

TheChunkWorld

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:16 PM

I had this issue with a Toshiba Satellite too, it basically popped, and now only works when plugged-in, it seems to be an isolated issue with them more specifically, as I have never had this issue with any of the other 6 computers (desktops and laptops alike) at any point.

#5 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:53 PM

I imagine the connection from the battery to the motherboard could be shorting out, but I'd have the system in front of me to examine. Most models have a direct hard connection between the two (ie the power leads) but occasionally you see the power connection is a cable that runs from a motherboard port to the female leads which are actually part of the case. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users