Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Western Digital 2500 Hard Drive, crash, BIOS won't read

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy James

Jeremy James

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:42 PM

Hey guys,

I have a WD2500 Hard Drive that has catastrophically crashed.  BIOS won't read it.  Someone tried to hook it up today, and the computer recognized "something" that it tried to find a driver for, but it would never read it as a hard drive.

I don't know if it will ever work again.  However, I'd like to get my data off.  I am very scared of the "freezer" method.

I have talked to $300 Data Recovery, and they think it will be a 60% chance of full recovery, $75 of partial.

This happened 3 years ago, and I know that there are tech improvements all the time.

Any suggestions for how I can get the data off myself? 

Thanks,

Jeremy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:34 PM

Has anyone a suggestion for me?

Thanks. 

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:30 AM

There is a fine line to be drawn there is software that allows you to read the drive when windows or OSX is unable to. However if the drive isn't running or a head is dammaged this won't help and any attempts to read the drive can cause More dammage.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:48 PM

So, what would you suggest?

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:17 PM

Someone tried to hook it up today, and the computer recognized "something" that it tried to find a driver for, but it would never read it as a hard drive.

The chances of proceeding to a data recovery would be to investigate first by a couple of methods. By connecting it internally on desktop as a slave preferrably and or externally by usb adapter/enclosure and using a Live linux bootable disc. If either method did not worked, then seeking a professional recovery center is the only chances at this point.

Tekken

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:12 AM

Exactly, I would start with the free ones like parted magic, then you could try Active kill disk if I remember correctly they say you can read/access/recover failed raid controller raid 5 array on any hardware using their software ( I may have the vender name wrong)

Edit2: You also asked my opinion.if the drive was mine I would determine if what is mising is worth the 300-500 fee a company In Florida that we have used to recover servers

Edited by Sneakycyber, 11 October 2013 - 02:30 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 

#7 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:05 AM

What company is that?

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:31 AM

My boss sends the drives out, I will ask him Monday and get back to you.

Chad Mockensturm 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users