Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 imaging backup

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:12 PM

My brother was given an Alienware laptop that was upgraded from XP Pro to Windows 7 Ultimate

No discs came with it and I recommended an image backup with the intent being that if something seriously happens, he can restore the computer without having to redo all of the windows updates, reinstall his Microsoft Office program as well as whatever else is in the computer at the time the computer system is imaged. I’ve been elected to do it and I don’t mind because it will help me understand what I will need to do when I buy my Windows 8 computer

So we ordered a 1TB WD My Passport Ultra external portable hard drive in order to create such an image

--- They have WD SmartWare software for backups but after reading the user’s manual it appears to me it backs up data but doesn’t image the system

--- The have a Pro version but I still didn’t see how it images the system

--- Besides I don’t want to spend more money if I don’t have to

So I moved on and read How to create a Windows system image in Windows 7 and Windows 8 in BC’s tutorials

--- The first thing I did was create the Windows System Repair disc as recommended

--- As I read the tutorial it appears to me that I will be able to create a complete system image as requested onto the WD My Passport Ultra external portable hard drive if I just follow the instructions

--- Please advise me if that is true

------ The reason I bring that up is because I have notes that indicate Windows 7 Backup program doesn’t do a system image

------ Unfortunately I didn't record where I got that information from

This also brings up another concern I have: Will I be able to image more than this one computer onto that external hard drive?

--- I’m hoping so because that’s what I’m hoping to do when I get me Windows 8 computer

--- And if there’s enough room, my sister should image her computer also and I’ll be glad to do it for her if I can

When I figure out all of the above, it looks to me like I better read & understand How to use System Image Recovery in the Windows 7 and Windows 8 Recovery Environment also

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:00 PM

I recommended an image backup with the intent being that if something seriously happens, he can restore the computer without having to redo all of the windows updates, reinstall his Microsoft Office program as well as whatever else is in the computer at the time the computer system is imaged.

To completely follow your directions or goals, in case of a hard drive disaster is to clone the drive using the same or higher (recommended) hard drive capacity using free macrium reflect. Video/youtube tutorials and manual are also available online. The cloning method is the exact copy of your installed programs, settings and files. After a complete and successful clone, test the new drive by slipping and replacing the source drive.

http://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50081.aspx?Keywords=Clone+Disk

Tekken

#3 ranchhand1

ranchhand1

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:52 PM

I will second Marcrium Reflect free edition. It's a great way to image your disk, which is what I have been doing. I like imaging; the reason is that you have a compacted, exact image of your drive which takes less HD space. Another great feature of that image, is that you can load several on the backup drive. I keep at least three, and title them by the date so restore is easy to identify. Another feature I like is that by double clicking on the image, MR creates a virtual drive and your image appears in an Explore-type tree structure, so you can drag and drop individual files onto your active desktop even from months back. Very handy.  Just to avoid any possible problems, I have a partition the same size as my hard drive. I don't know if this is really necessary, but some have had problems with other backup programs when restoring from a larger backup drive to a smaller main hard drive. Either way, clone or image, you will be fine.

Edited by ranchhand1, 03 October 2013 - 08:07 AM.

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:07 PM

Thanks for all of that excellent information

I did use BC's tutorial to create  a System Image and those instructions were excellent

--- Now I'll be able to do my sister's for her and she can keep it her own backup hard drive

I did go to the Macrium website and I am going to check them out as I believe the non-profit organization I volunteer at should benefit from them and I should be able to apply my goals to their computers

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:10 AM

:thumbup2:

Tekken

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:31 AM

The Macrium Reflect recommendation is already paying off. One of my sons has a Vista computer and he wants to go with it

#7 yyychaser

yyychaser

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:08 AM

thank you for every advantage i've taken from you, it's do really help me a lot, could you write another article for restore tutorials? By way, i found an useful article about incremental and defferential backup give it a try if necessary. :guitar:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users