Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good Brand Of External Harddrives

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ryuki

Ryuki

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 27 April 2006 - 05:05 PM

Hello, I was just wondered if there is a good and cheap external harddrives, can you suggest me some brands are good enough. Email it to me if you have a very good example, I'll look it up and buy it.

***Mod edit... Email address removed to protect user from mailbots*** rigel

Edited by rigel, 27 April 2006 - 06:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 06:38 PM

Hi Ryuki,

Welcome to BleepingComputer!

Please don't place your email in open forums. Unethical people have bots that farm them and you will be swamped with unwanted spam.

I own a LaCee 250 GB external USB drive and love it. There are bigger capacities now so take a look.

Hope this helps...

rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 Mofficer

Mofficer

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 27 April 2006 - 06:39 PM

Its cheapest to buy an IDE harddrive on sale with a deal or special. Then buy an external enclosure and put it together yourself. Its pretty easy, just plug it in as you would to the computer/motherboard. It'll save you some money and then you can always upgrade the external when bigger harddrives come out. Oh, and when looking for an external enclosure make sure its metal, not plastic.

Edited by Mofficer, 27 April 2006 - 06:40 PM.

#4 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 27 April 2006 - 08:10 PM

Yeah, mofficer raised a good point. Although data transfer rates for Firewire is pretty good, in theory it won't compare to a direct SATA or IDE connection, peticularly SATA-II, if you have the capability. You extra concern however with building your own external will be connecting to other PCs (if you require it) and additionally HDD cooling :thumbsup: .

If you do decide to go for external, LaCie and Maxtor seem pretty popular - they are all we use at work and seem very reliable. Can be pricey though - we have a LaCie Bigger Disk (1Tb (1000Gb)) which set us back about $AU800, but has USB2.0, Firewire 400 & 800 connections, and additionally has it's own cooling.

In the end it really depends on why you want it - if you don't need to take only your HDD with you, you are way better off just sticking with an internal drive...but thats just my opinion. :flowers:
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#5 Ryuki

Ryuki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2006 - 07:31 PM

Hi Ryuki,

Please don't place your email in open forums. Unethical people have bots that farm them and you will be swamped with unwanted spam.

I own a LaCee 250 GB external USB drive and love it. There are bigger capacities now so take a look.

Hope this helps...

rigel

oh sorry. thanks for reminding me.

#6 Ryuki

Ryuki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2006 - 07:34 PM

Hi Ryuki,

Hope this helps...

rigel

how you edit the message I did?

#7 Ryuki

Ryuki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2006 - 07:43 PM

Its cheapest to buy an IDE harddrive on sale with a deal or special. Then buy an external enclosure and put it together yourself. Its pretty easy, just plug it in as you would to the computer/motherboard. It'll save you some money and then you can always upgrade the external when bigger harddrives come out. Oh, and when looking for an external enclosure make sure its metal, not plastic.

It is a great idea, but I'd prefer buying the external harddrive. I want to put my backup in the external harddrive. So I don't have to worry about buying a internal CD burner then buring files in the CD. I have to tell the professional to fix my old computer first then the professional may update the harddrive (internal) so I don't have to worry about the intrernal HD space gwetting low. I still like your idea, I'll try it too. I can buy an another internal harddrive, but the problem is: how I put files in it? It is the another question. But, thanks.

#8 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2006 - 12:26 AM

Words of wisdom I gave my mom when she wanted a backup drive for her office. "Wal-mart". Laugh if you will but they have 80 GB seagate externals fairly cheap. (Cant remember the price but it was less per GB than Best Buy and Staples and under $100)

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users