Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

seagate/memeo FreeAgent GoFlex no supported by win8

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 blondlily5

blondlily5

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:46 PM

trying to back up my files/pic/music etc.  My external HD is not being recognized.  help what can i do?  arrgh not a friend of Win8

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:23 PM

There is an update for the software from Segate GoFlex Update
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 blondlily5

blondlily5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:06 PM

I followed the instructions, my EH is still not being supported by my version of windows

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:21 AM

The Segate dashboard software won't run on Windows 8. Uninstall it and use windows explorer. If you open windows explorer and click on network you should see the Segate drive. Click on the Segate and browse the folders. When you click on the drive if it opens in your browser you will need to map a network drive letter to the Segate. The drive location would be \\Drivename(or ip address)\.You should be able to put that directly into the address bar in explorer and view your files. Then use the same location for your Mapped drive for easy access. If you use the backup software from the dashboard you will need to find a different solution.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 05 October 2013 - 01:23 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#5 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 05 October 2013 - 08:29 PM

Instead of using the third party software, use something like Acronis, or Windows 8 File History to the network drive.  If you are using Windows 8 Pro, you can backup to a Network drive.

I would suggest just saving documents to the Network drive, save nothing to the computer itself.  That way if it does crash, all you are doing is having to restore an image of the OS and the software.  You can use a cloning tool such as Paragon's Image backup to clone the whole drive, so you can restore back to what it was before the problem, if you have to wipe and restore.  http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/image-backup-for-windows-8-create-clone-images-of-your-hard-drive/

This explains how to use the built-in windows backup to create an image in Windows 8 http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/12/using-windows-8s-hidden-backup-to-clone-and-recover-your-whole-pc/

Acronis is by far one of the better tools out there for cloning drives.  http://techsultan.com/how-to-clone-hard-drive-using-acronis-true-image-2013/

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:56 PM

I can personally reccomend True Image 2013. Windows 8, Server 2012 is the whole reason I had to change imaging and backup Software. Acronis works perfectly and has been long before other vendors

Edited by Sneakycyber, 05 October 2013 - 09:57 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users