Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SweetPack virus ... and maybe more?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bkaczmarek

bkaczmarek

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:10 PM

Hi, I'm a newbie. But hoping someone can help.

Last week I seem to have gotten SweetPacks virus. (See below for all the details.)  And I googled it and found a link online to remove it http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-sweetpacks-toolbar   

But is this link the right instructions for me, given that my files seem to be disappearing as well?...ie maybe I am infected with something else additionally?  

I say 'disappearing' because AVG scans usually shows 'number of objects scanned' at about 1,200,000.  Since this virus incident last week (see details below...), AVG reported it scanned only 120,000 objects.  And today it scanned only 103,000 objects.

BACKGROUND:

I've been very good about using AVG Free anti-virus and weekly scans have never found any suspicious files. 

Last week I was prompted to upgrade to AVG 2014 Free.  It didn't seem to take - showing 'protection not active' - and I contacted AVG who sent instructions for removal of old version and how to do a clean install.

But upon reboot, AVG 2014 showed that components were active.  (So I ignored the removal/reinstall). Thought I was good.

Since things were goofy, I googled "registry cleaner tools' and clicked on a CNET downloader of some registry cleaner with 4 or 5 stars.  It offered to add additional software tools (twice) and i "declined" both times but then got cold feet and tried to abort.

AVG then showed that its four components were again NOT active.    Rebooted and the AVG 2014 tools were active again.  Did an AVG scan and it found no threats... and I didn't notice immediately that 'objects scanned' was fewer than normal.

My browser then mentioned sweetpacks and I googled it and was instructed to go to Add/Remove.  I found sweetpacks there and the options were <Hide> "recommended" or <Remove> and next to remove was <Important info>.  I clicked "important info" and was now frozen out of Add/Remove.  Sweetpacks has never again showed up in Add/Remove - although I never clicked to remove it.

Browsers now are all bad.

Mozilla won't open, giving error message: [ Firefox.exe application error:  The exception unknown software exception (0xc0000417) occurred in the application at location 0x100da84f. ]

Chrome gives the same error.  And the three bars in chrome turned orange and when opened showed [attempting to add sweetpacks extention ] which i clicked to "not allow."

Internet Explorer opened ok but then insisted on trying to opening a sweetpacks site.   Version with 'no add-ons' opened ok.

The AVG phone answerers had me send them files and have been saying Tier II folks will help me and will get back to me in 24-72 hours -- but it has been 10 days now of calling them everyday and hearing that Tier II is very busy and that they will expedite my case and I'll hear from them as soon as possible.

So, I'm thinking I will follow the steps in your link above -- if I'm not barking up the wrong tree?!  Is that link appropriate for me?

Also, someone suggested I just delete and reinstall my browsers.  That is fine with me.  Is that safe??  I'm afraid the virus is logging keystrokes and or has partitioned the harddrive and is running my system without my being able to see it or something more than what is obvious.

btw the laptop is an old Dell Inspiron E1505 running XP (actually I guess still running Media Center Edition of XP)

Thanks,

Bill  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:13 PM

See if our guide works for you.... SweetPacks Toolbar and SweetIM Toolbar Removal Guide

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 bkaczmarek

bkaczmarek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:35 PM

Thanks, yes that is the same guide that I refer to in my first sentence.  My question is whether that guide is appropriate even given that my files seem to be being deleted from my system.  Does that indicate I have something else to worry about?  Are you saying the guide is appropriate despite that?

Bill

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:50 PM

Hi ... SweetPack virus ... and maybe more. I am thinking that maybe more IS the issue. You may have Encryption Malware.  I suggest this.

DO NOT Run a Temp file or Registry cleaner.  We need to get a deeper look. Please follow this Preparation Guide, do steps 6,7 and 8 and post in a new topic.
Let me know if all went well.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users