Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win Me Crash - Graphics Affected

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 georgeinthehat

georgeinthehat

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 27 April 2006 - 03:48 PM

Hi,

Was saving a graphic from the net to my hard drive last night and my computer totally crashed. Did a hard boot and from that point forward totally lost my mouse and all graphics / color / were different. So, this morning I reinstalled my Win ME software and now have mouse and access to all programs.

My problem has to do with viewing photographs and any graphics. Real low resolution when viewing graphics and photographs saved on my hard drive in addition to those on the net. Computer is PEX generic with Intel Pentium processor, 128 MB ram, 32-bit file system and memory. System resources says 54% free, which seems pretty low to me.

I have very little computer knowledge and no money to get computer serviced locally, so would greatly appreciate your kind assistance. Thanks. George

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 06:23 PM

Hi, George.

Is your desktop looking bad, too? Or is it just the graphics you're viewing? And what sort of program are you using for viewing graphics? I'm wondering if you have the correct video drivers loaded, if at all.

You need to check your Device Manager immediately after a fresh install and re-install drivers for whatever peripherals and things are on your computer. So, press the Windows key (between the ctrl and alt keys) at the same time as the Pause key up on the right, and it will open your device manager. Look at the hardware - check for any yellow exclamation points or question marks.

If you see any such problems, the drivers probably need to be loaded. Video cards and motherboards and such come with disks with the drivers on them. If you cannot find the disks, let us know and we'll attempt to help you find the drivers/software you need.

#3 georgeinthehat

georgeinthehat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 06:53 PM

Hi (and thanks) Herk,

My desktop seems pretty much the same although the background color changed when I reloaded the software. I notice now that there is a herringbone type pattern behind all text on certain pages though, making reading incredibly difficult.

I've just checked the Device Manager and there are no question marks or exclamation marks. On closer inspection, I cannot see any mention of the word video under the file "sound video and game controllers". Just one gamespot controller and two audio drivers (creative sound blaster and wave device). Is this where the video driver is supposed to be located?

I forgot to mention in my original post (or rather didn't notice it at first) that the entire desktop "screen" is slightly smaller than it used to be . . . and there is a solid thick black bar running around the entire desktop . . . but it definitely looks thicker on the right hand side. Does this provide you with a clue?

Thanks very much for your kind assistance. Having the ability to view photographs (and graphics) makes the whole internet experience a whole lot better!

George
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Mod Edit: E-mail address was removed for your safety. Please, do not post your E-mail address in an open forum. This could lead to a lot more SPAM in your inbox, than you might want.

Edited by tg1911, 27 April 2006 - 08:29 PM.

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 09:44 PM

I cannot see any mention of the word video under the file "sound video and game controllers"

Assuming Win 98, it would more likely be under Display Adapters. Sound, video and game controllers would more likely show a video accelerator card.

Based on the symptoms, it's quite possible that you have a generic device driver loaded instead of what you really need. It might be a good idea to download a program that will tell you what your video card is, as well as other devices.

Try Belarc Advisor. It's free, and it opens in Internet Explorer, listing hardware, software, missing hotfixes, and so on. For all Windows.

#5 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2006 - 07:07 AM

Hello, The video card (Display Adapter) needs a new video driver, for this you will either have to get the original CD for the Card or go to the manufacturers web site driver page and hunt it up.

Once you get this done I would suggest going to Windows Update and get all of the updates installed that you can. Oh they might have a driver listed under the topics so check them out and install them. I would go to the manufacturer's web site and get the driver anyway basically sometime the video drivers might not work properly this is just the way computers go sometimes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users