Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPUs for a new computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 danar

danar

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:55 AM

When looking at buying a new desktop computer that I'll be using for web surfing to watch videos and stuff like that and not for gaming, what's the CPUs I should be looking for in a computer?

I know that higher CPU is better, but at the same time, I want to avoid going overboard and buying something that I won't really need. I'm looking for the sweet spot where the CPU is high enough to make a difference for what I'll use it for.

I'm looking at two different computers, one with a Intel i3 and one with Intel Pentium G2030. I know that Intel i7 is the latest offering and so the best CPU, but it seems beyond what I'll use it for. I'm worried that if the i3 is already a bit old, then will the Intel Pentium G2030, which is even older, already be outdated?

When I was browsing at Best Buy, one of the workers suggested to get a computer with the Intel i3- he said that Windows 8 needs more CPU processing and that i3 will handle that but the Intel Pentium G2030 might have trouble handing Windows 8. According to this employee, I might not initially notice a difference between the two CPUs at first but I'd notice it later on. Is that accurate, or was it just sales puffery to induce me to buy the more expensive computer? I don't know much about computers so I don't really understand why there'd only be a noticeable difference later on.

Or, if I got a computer with AMD instead of an Intel, which AMD CPU would you recommend for a computer?

Is it better to get an Intel or a AMD CPU? Or, does it depend on the model where a newer AMD is better than an older model Intel?

Edited by danar, 02 October 2013 - 03:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,088 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:15 AM

The Best Buy website is down this morning, so I chose the links below to show you some computers

that will do what you describe. No, you do not need an I3 for the use you describe.

Amazon.com: Lenovo H505s Desktop: Computers & Accessories

(No taxes or shipping...$347)

hp desktop computer - Walmart.com

(all new computers on this page will do what you describe)

(If you need a monitor, the bundled one is a good deal)

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 danar

danar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:38 AM

So, for what type of computer user would need to use an i3?

It gets confusing cause when you go to Intel's website and it asked me what I needed to use it for, it seemed to suggest i3 or i5 were what I needed.

Intel describes the i5 as "smart performance with speed boost for video, photos, email and internet" and describes the i3 as "smart performance starts here for common tasks like listening to music." But, isn't that what I'll be using it for or is just marketing hype from Intel to sell their CPUs?

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,088 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:11 AM

I see you have Vista on your HP computer. What model is it and when it is functioning normally does

it perform your normal tasks adequately....to your satisfaction?

I saw in another of your topics that you had a lot of second rate security programs and a ton of adware

on your comp. You have to be careful when installing programs, especially free ones, to either uncheck

toolbar installs or use custom install when offered. You can use the site in link below to get many of the

free programs users install and those programs do not contain adware.

Ninite - Install or Update Multiple Apps at Once

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:35 PM

Hi,

OK to try and help You with Your Decisions.

This from a Windows 8 running a G2020 CPU with 4Gb memory.

basic-info.jpg

And this is the Windows Experience Index.

wei.jpg

I do have a i7 Desktop that I use for working with Video. I use this one for Internet, Watching Videos etc. It does what I need with good enough speed. It is Thrifty enough to run, consuming up to 120 watts including the Display. 1Tb drive is large enough. It runs Windows 8.

I got lazy and broke with my Normal practice of building my own with this one and Bought a All-In-One despite the limitations. That was due to having limited space for it.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users