Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

32gb micro SD 4gb limit?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 GruzDeku

GruzDeku

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:29 AM

Hiya, I've bought numerous 32gb memory cards, i use them all over the place, in the house we have 3 tablets, 2 smart phones, 2 laptops a PC, plus a few flash storage devices. On to the problem:

There seems to be a limit on how much information they can hold at a time. I've done some research and found out that using the fat-32 format there is a 4gb limit on file size apparently, and none of my files break that limit. I have since tried making sure none of my folders go over 4gb in case that counts as part of the limit, so i have numerous folders all under 4gb, but i still end up with errors and having to 'repair' my disk. Here is an actual example of one of my problems:

I have nearly all the final fantasy games, i used to be a big fan. I have a playstation emulator on my android tabs and phone, so i took my Playstation discs, and used image burn to burn them all into .bin files onto my PC, and then transfer them, and the bios needed to play them on a tablet/phone to the micro SD. It all seems to go well at first, but when i put it into my phone/tablet, the first lot in the list seems to be ok, and the last lot seems to be corrupt and unusable. If i change around what i put onto the disk, then ones that were previously error filled are fine. I did do a bit of fiddling and testing it seems to be that the error occurs once i get over 4gb of storage. 

After reading about the 4gb limit of fat32, im sure im doing something wrong, as manufacturers wouldnt release a 32gb card with only 4gb of it usable, but i cant for the life of me figure out what it is. I've tried using ordinary formatting with windows 8 (right click the card in the 'my computer' folder) on both fast and full formatting, and I've since tried a proper SD formatter program and then tried putting all the info back, and cant seem to get it to work. 

Any help/advice would be VERY much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:14 AM

I have never run into the 4gb problem with flash drives, and I routinely make live USBs with operating systems, as well as DVD copies (which can run up to 6gb)

Folder's don't count toward total file size, as they are simply collection of several files together (think address/locations).

It's possible to format flash drives as NTFS, which would eliminate the 4gb FAT32 limitation. You can even set up a flash drive to be read as an external hard drive, however I have never succeeded in doing so.

Having written all that- I have not worked with SD cards much, outside of cell phones.

#3 GruzDeku

GruzDeku
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:20 AM

I had forgotten about this post, ive done some more fiddling including using the Play Store, and found out about an app called a SD Checker. According to its description, there are a load of people out there selling 'fake' 32gb cards. They show up as 32gb, but you cant use it, and i did buy mine cheap for £10 from Hong Kong on e-bay, so i have a feeling my normal place to buy them must not be reputable. I got an old 2gb micro SD i had lying around, and tried putting things on it, from it, changing things around, had no troubles at all, and no corruption. So ill put it down to buying from a dodgy place, and make sure i buy my next one from a real retailer like PC world. Thanks for getting back to me :)

#4 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:46 PM

No problem!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users