Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moviepass Pop-ups

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 vhummel

vhummel

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 27 April 2006 - 03:37 PM

Suddenly I am getting full screen pop-ups advertising something called MOVIEPASS
I don't know where it came from. I never heard of movie pass.. How do I get rid of this garbage. It pops in the middle of my work and I have to let it run its course before it stops. It is very annoying and disturbing. Does anyone have any suggestions?
running winXP home edition sp2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 27 April 2006 - 03:51 PM

You have downloaded some adware, probably from something you downloaded for free (like a screen saver, songs or games) without reading the EULA (where you had to click "I agree"). I bet it has happened to all of us at one time or another.

Anyway, there are some freeware anti-spyware - anti-malware programs to detect the culprit/s and protect your computer from further infection as well as popup blockers that can be had in Internet Explorer and Firefox to stop popups.

The first thing to do is to download, install, update and run the following freeware aps:

Anti-malware freeware
(You can run as many of these as you wish. Generally there is no conflict between these and you should always run several since each may find malware that the others may not find)

Ad-Aware SE Personal - freeware
http://www.lavasoft.com/
Click on Adaware SE Personal in “Products” on the left side of the page
Or it may be easier to find it here:
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Adawa...nal/965718306/1

Spybot S&D: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
Be sure to enable “Teatimer” which gives you realtime protection against malware invasion. (absolutely necessary)

Microsoft Windows Defender
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/s...re/default.mspx
This also provides realtime protection. (absolutely necessary)

Are these popups the only adware you are getting at this time and are there any other problems you have noticed with your computer?

Run the above and let us know what they find.

If you are using Internet Explorer click on "tools">popup blocker - then turn popup blocker on.
Click "settings" and pick the degree of protection you want.

If you are using Firefox, download the extension "Adblock".

The Google and Yahoo search bars also have good popup protection.

Edited by Enthusiast, 27 April 2006 - 03:57 PM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 28 April 2006 - 08:29 AM

Movieland installs a number of files that allow it to keep popping up requests for payment (which you may or may not have unwittingly agreed to when clicking "run" without reading the terms of service). According to Movieland's website and MediaPipe's EULA (End User License Agreement), Movieland reserves the right to continue to charge the user even if he has uninstalled the software. MediaPipe requires the user to visit a website to cancel the "trial obligation." See here and here.

You should not remove the MoviePass software before you call to cancel the account they have open for you. If you have the MoviePass pop-ups, most likely they have an account for you, and somehow got billing information. They will require a number from their software to deactivate your account. Removing the Moviepass TV software will NOT stop them from charging you.

The phone number that has been given to cancel is: In the USA (866) 431-7720 or 001 866 431-7720 from outside the US. This may not be reliable, so you are doing this at your own risk. Alternatively, The Moviepass Terms of Service state "You can cancel your MoviePass™ Membership at any time by going through the Customer Service page located here.

If you are sure that this company has no contact or billing information for you, and that someone in your household did not give them this information, go ahead and remove the software.

Download Ewido Anti-Malware v3.5
1. After download, double click on the file to launch the install process.
2. During installation, under "Additional Options" uncheck "Install background guard" and "Install scan via context menu".
3. Launch ewido by double-clicking the "e" icon on your desktop.
4. The program will prompt you to update - click the "OK" button.
5. On the left side of the main screen, click on "Update" and then click "Start Update". The update will start and a progress bar will show the updates being installed.
6. When done, you will see "Update Successful" in the lower left corner. If you are having problems with the updater, manually update with the Ewido Full database installer from here.
7. Exit Ewido when done - DO NOT perform a scan yet.

Reboot your computer in "SAFE MODE" using the F8 method so Windows will start with minimal drivers and running processes. To do this restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup [but before the Windows icon appears] press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with Ewido as follows:
1. Click on "Scanner" and choose "Settings".
2. Under the bottom section "What to Scan?" make sure "Scan every file" is selected.
3. Select "OK" and you will return to scanning options.
4. On the main screen click on "Complete System Scan" to start the scan.
5. While the scan is in progress, you will be prompted to clean the first infected file if finds. Put a check next to "Perform action on all infections" in the lower left corner.
6. Then choose "Clean" and click "OK".
7. When the scan has completed, Ewido will create a report.txt file.
8. Click the "Save Report" button on the bottom of the screen and save the log to your desktop.
9. Exit Ewido when done.

Go to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and remove any of the following:

P2Pnetworks
AltPayments
Download Manager
Media Pipe
MyAccessMedia
Notify (there may also be numbers as part of the filename)
Notification Utility
License Manager

Reboot normally and DELETE the following folder(s) IF STILL PRESENT. Use Windows Explorer to navigate to Program files. When found right-click the folder and choose delete.

Movieland or Moviepass
AltPayments
Download Manager
Media Pipe
My Access Media
Notify
Notifier
Notification
Notification Utility
ITBills
License Manager

Update and scan with Ad-Aware.