Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VGA vs DVI cable

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dark Magician Girl

Dark Magician Girl

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:31 AM

I'm not certain this is the correct forum, but it seemed the most appropriate to me.

-

This is the DVI to DVI cable that I am considering purchasing: http://www.amazon.com/BlueRigger-DVI-Digital-Dual-Link-Cable/dp/B009WA115M/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1380247620&sr=1-3&keywords=dvi+to+dvi+3+feet

I have read quite a few reponses to threads about whether a DVI cable provides better quality than a VGA cable. Reponses range from there is a noticeable improvement in quality in general or when using higher resolutions to there is no improvement at all. I have an HP x20LED monitor that is using a 1600x900 resolution, and I like to watch videos on it. The cable is cheap, so I am not concerned whether it is worth purchasing. I want to know whether a DVI cable can provide better quality than a VGA cable on my monitor? Is it technically possible?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:50 AM

In theory, a digital picture is better.

Personally, I don't really notice the difference, but then I am not super picky.

#3 Dark Magician Girl

Dark Magician Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:28 PM

I see. I think I'm going to get the cable. It just occurred to me that the video card I'm thinking about purchasing doesn't have a VGA connection. It comes with a long VGA adapter that plugs into the DVI connection. The DVI cable will eliminate the need for the adapter. This way, I can place my computer close to the wall, so it doesn't take up extra space. I'm considering getting a 6 foot cable, though. The 3 foot cable may be too short if I decide to move the computer to the other side of the desk in the future.

#4 lti

lti

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:30 AM

A DVI cable is already included with that monitor. If you still have that cable, try it and get a longer one in the future if you need to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users