Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

a system image cannot be saved at this location

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Andy123

Andy123

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:15 PM

Hi all,

So I was trying to do a system image backup onto my external hard drive (500GB Seagate Expansion Portable Drive) when this problem happened. I got to "Backup and Restore" in control panel and for some reason it says that the backup has not been set up yet, so i went ahead and started setting up the backup. When it asked for the backup location I selected my hard drive but a warning message popped up and said a system image cannot be saved there. The reason is that "Scheduled Backup of system image is not allowed on removable devices". And if i try to use "Create a System Image" my drive just simply will not show up.

I did system images quite frequently on the very same hard disk until I bought a new 2TB hard drive which replaced the role of backup location. I deleted the original Image after backing up on the new disk. Also in an attempt to install Windows Server 2012 I partitioned the C: drive which i subsequently reverted back.

I need to do a backup on my 500GB so PLEASE HELP!!!

Similar Problem: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/windows-7-will-not-backup-to-hard-drive-system/3e6f61d0-2274-4709-aa2c-6a709401bb85?rtAction=1380686449118

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I would like to avoid using a third party software if possible.

I just burned a Windows 7 repair disk and I would like to avoid burning

another one.

Edited by Andy123, 01 October 2013 - 11:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:52 AM

Try deleting all volumes on the external drive and reformatting to see if that helps.

Type diskmgmt.msc in the search box and press enter

Select the disk and delete all partitions on it

Create a new partition, and do a full format on it (ntfs)

Try backup again

*Or* use diskpart - at a command prompt, type diskpart and press enter

list disk

select disk n (where n is the number of the external drive)

clean
CREATE PARTITION Primary

ASSIGN
SELECT PARTITION=1
FORMAT FS=NTFS LABEL="Seagate External" QUICK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users