Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

White screen on startup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mickhead

Mickhead

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:42 PM

Hi, first time caller, long time listener....

First up, I own a small computer repair shop in an even smaller town, and take apart and put together laptops and tablets on a daily basis...I don't need help in finding manuals or instructions on taking things apart, I've got that covered...

I have a Compaq Presario C700 blah blah blah here that has me stumped...everytime it boots up, it goes straight to a white screen, and big thick black vertical lines slowly fade in, and it sits there like that while I scratch my head and say "WTF???"

So far, I have changed the screen, then the video cable, then (thinking it was the GPU) I changed the motherboard, and yesterday I put a new CPU in, and still, same thing...I've had different RAM in, same thing...ripped out the hdd, same thing...I even went as far as unplugging the speakers (I know, right...) but yeah...nothing...

Anyone have any other ideas?  It has to be something easy now, all the hard (expensive) things have been ripped out and replaced...

Cheers

Michael

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:25 PM

I would have stopped and bought a new Laptop before doing any of that.

Where did you get the replacement motherboard?

it sounds like the one that you replaced it with had the same problem, the definitely sounds like a video card failure, try connecting it up to an external display.

#3 Mickhead

Mickhead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:43 PM

I've tried the external monitor, but no luck. 

As with most of my parts, I bought it on ebay...

I just thought it weird that it was the exact same thing appearing when the computer starts up, and if it was the exact same problem on two different MB's, I couldn't find anyone else complaining about this problem with that model machine in any of my googling of the problem...ya know?

I don't like this throw away culture that is happening everywhere, and I try and fix whatever problem is happening instead...I get more work out of it that way as well...its not like they need the flashest machine just to check email and get on facebook hey...

#4 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:26 AM

So the same thing happens with a different HDD? Did you try the new motherboard with the HDD first before removing the HDD?

Can you get to BIOS? Safe Mode?

I'm thinking there might be a virus on the HDD that might be infecting the ROM, something like the FBI/White screen trojan. Exactly when does it go to a white screen? Before BIOS? After? Before or after splash? Logon?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users