Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor vertical lines issue

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 stanb

stanb

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:19 PM

Hi all,

Have a problem with my monitor and hoping to receive some help.

Basically what the problem is that i have a BenQ FP241W monitor that only displays vertical coloured lines. When i switch the monitor on i am instantly greeted with the lines. This is the case on any PC or other device i connect the monitor to. I have connected the monitor to two PCs via a VGA cable and my blu-ray player via HDMI. When attached to my PC, the colours/lines both change depending on what is on screen(the lines are not set). Same goes for when attaching it to the blu-ray player, in this case however you notice the moving picture, nonetheless the display is still dominated by lines.

This issue has been a problem for other 4 to 5 months now. Before, i use to be able to bang the monitor on the side where the buttons are located and the display will show up as normal. That does not work anymore. Also, in the past i use to be able to leave the monitor on a while (20-30mins) and the picture would eventually show up as normal. This is not really the case anymore, up until a month ago i would leave it on for maybe an hour and it would display as normal, although recently i have left it on for maybe an hour and a half and the picture will not show up.

I've opened the back up and looked at the connections to see if any have come loose (i thought the banging solution may have suggested a loose connection somewhere) but they all seem to be ok. I have also looked at the capacitors to see if any have blown but no problem there either.

Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be and what i could try? i really do not want to toss this monitor away. Buying replacement panels etc is not really an option.

Pictures below (sorry about the flash):

2mmdcw4.jpg

2hojvkj.jpg

e125o6.jpg

Btw, it's not always dominated by blue.

Anyone with any ideas? All help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,793 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:41 PM

Unfortunately it is most likely a problem internal to the LCD panel. There's a small likelihood such a symptom could be caused by bad contact in the connectors on the LVDS loom that carries signal to the panel, as discussed here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/378732/lcd-monitor-problem/?p=2130824

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 stanb

stanb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:49 AM

Hi, thanks for getting back to me.

I've gone to the link you provided but i am struggling to locate the LVDS loom. Would you mind pointing out where i can find it? Picture of monitor below.

http://oi44.tinypic.com/29y1l09.jpg

At the top of the monitor there is a metal case that in the picture is still screwed down by four screws. I'm actually in the process of removing this (one of the screw heads has become damaged so just trying to figure out how to unscrew). Would the LVDS loom be under that metal casing?

#4 stanb

stanb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:42 PM

I've managed to remove the metal case and there are a couple of cables there that i disconnected and cleaned (the brown/red cables you can see popping out) and i also disconnected the cable that has multicoloured wires coming out of it at the bottom and cleaned the connection. Sadly, no change.

Any other ideas on what it could be? We've had a similar problem on a lcd tv before where we replaced some of the capacitors on the power supply and we eventually got the tv working again. Could that possibly be a solution here?

Thank you.

#5 stanb

stanb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:25 AM

Anyone?

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:38 AM

Hi, As Platypus has said that is usually a internal to the LCD panel problem.

This is based past experiences. If  it was a laptop you could substitute to test, hard to substitute with a desktop monitor however.

If the cable contact cleaning did not fix the problem that makes me suspect a defective panel.

There is a non serviceable connection that is part of the LCD panel. It could be that or it could be the electronics on the Panel itself.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 stanb

stanb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:36 PM

Hi Rotor, thanks for the response.

Could you possibly tell me from the pic i posted a couple of posts up where the LCD panel is?  I'm pretty sure it should be the panel behind the metal casing but any chance of a confirmation?

We've pretty much tired out all our theories (someone else is helping me out first hand but he is more attuned to old style crt tvs and not lcds). I had a tv a little while ago that had a similar problem (an lcd) and we switched some capacitors on the power supply and that got the tv back working again. We've tried that recently with the monitor but no success, just different coloured lines for some reason.

When you say the electronics on the panel itself, what exactly do you mean, should there be anything in particular i should look out for?

Thanks again.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:06 PM

The LCD panel is that part the the video is displayed on. Maybe this will help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid-crystal_display

Cheers

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#9 stanb

stanb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:55 PM

I understand what the LCD panel's job is, all i was wondering is where it was located exactly? I'm pretty sure i know i would just like to make sure. Can you tell me where it would be located on this image?:

33bplid.jpg

Also, when you say it could be the electronics on the board, what exactly do you mean, should there be anything in particular i should look out for or replace?

Thanks again for the help.

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:41 PM

It isn't on that image.

If you go here and look you can see the integrated electronics on the back of the examples of  LCD panels, No user repairable parts there.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/laptop-lcd-screen-replacement

And this one shows the front of a LCD panel

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-17-0-LP171WP4-TL-B1-Laptop-LCD-replacement-Screen-WXGA-Glossy-/121186692657

These are only examples.

I did not see any for your model

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#11 Florineta

Florineta

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:49 PM

My monitor was white with same kind of lines and I'm just telling u what worked on my monitor that I was ready to throw out when I though of blowing into the monitor where u put in the monitor cable like u do with old games, to my surprise, it worked. Might of been to dusty, I don't know but it works fine now. Just thought if help. 😀

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users