Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello, I'm new and need help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerNeophyte

ComputerNeophyte

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:54 PM

Hello,

I'm new in here, so I thought I'd stop in and ask for some direction.  I have a new HP notepad with W8 (My first computer)  My Google Chrome is working fine, but on ie I fell for that fake "adobe flash" update while on Youtube.  Now whenever I go on Youtube (on ie) I get all those nasty ads and she freezes up.  I'm new, but I'm not totally stupid, either.  I ran Malwarbytes and found 5 "TidyNetwork" pups and removed them but they keep coming back.  I then ran Kaspersky's FREE rootkit detector, which found no malware, but did find 17 "other issues," all having to do with ie settings;those settings may or may not have something to do with things, I don't know.  I also went into "manage ad ons" but nothing stinky in there. I went snooping in "ad or remove programs" but nothing looks bad there, either. I then decided to uninstal ie, but darned if I can find it;and no, it's not in "uninstal updates" either.  (I read your mind. :)

I can keep using Google Chrome, but it ticks me off that this happened and I can't fix it.  Anyway, I'm droning on.  Can you direct to a room in here where I can find a genius that can help rid me of this curse?

Edit: Moved topic from General Chat to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Fireteam2479

Fireteam2479

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:01 PM

Well welcome to this site, I too am a newbie but I have 2 programs I use which I can sing the praises of because it made my computer like new. I use Spybot Search & Destroy as well as iObit Malware Fighter. Both are free programs (iObit you can buy pro, Spybot is 100% free), but these programs cleaned my computer well. MalwareBytes is good but these 2 I have found to be more thorough & add more features. Hope this helps & anyone else can feel free to add to this. I have seen these pop ups & sometimes before you can close it, it attacks. My father has had this fake program pop up. By now you'd think it would be gone but it's still attacking people. Sorry this happened to you. Hope this helps!

#3 ComputerNeophyte

ComputerNeophyte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:15 PM

Well welcome to this site, I too am a newbie but I have 2 programs I use which I can sing the praises of because it made my computer like new. I use Spybot Search & Destroy as well as iObit Malware Fighter. Both are free programs (iObit you can buy pro, Spybot is 100% free), but these programs cleaned my computer well. MalwareBytes is good but these 2 I have found to be more thorough & add more features. Hope this helps & anyone else can feel free to add to this. I have seen these pop ups & sometimes before you can close it, it attacks. My father has had this fake program pop up. By now you'd think it would be gone but it's still attacking people. Sorry this happened to you. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info.  I'll give Spybot and Search and Destroy a shot.  Yeah, these ads are really freezing up my IE while in youtube. I'll have to stick with Chrome until I get this fixed--if ever.  Later.

#4 ComputerNeophyte

ComputerNeophyte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:41 AM

I figured I'd come back in here and tell how my horror story ended, the info may be useful to others. 

As I said in the first post I had acquired a virus that planted some "tidyNetwork" files on my computer that had basically hijacked my ie.  The computer would freeze up, especially in Youtube, and I was getting a ton of cheesy ads where there shouldn't be any.  I used the anti virus Malwarebytes to detect and clean those files but the problem persisted.  I then decided to download SPYBOT and see if that would do any better, and this is where the story REALLY gets bad.  At this point I'd like to remind, I'm new at this computing stuff, so cut me some slack.  I downloaded the fake Spybot!!!!   Like a monster with a hundred arms, it went in and changed all my settings on both browsers and the computer's performance went dramatically down, and I was gifted with a new homepage,too.  Ads and fake "warnings" were popping up everywhere. And I became very unhappy. ;)

I ran Malwarebytes and found that this lovely beast had planted about 140 "TidyNetwork" files on my computer.  I disposed of those files, to no avail.  I went into programs and found CONDUIT and SWEETPACKS!!  I looked them up and found out that they are malware that basically hijack the computer and that they can be nearly impossible to extract.  And, oh, how true that was!  Ostensibly I uninstalled Sweetpacks, but that darn Conduit just would not go.  Long story short, I did a recovery on my HP notepad  (Which I luv by the way)  and now I'm as good as new.  Ahhhh, life is good again.

If anyone in here knows how I could have extracted that Conduit without doing a recovery I would like to hear about it, since I want to learn.  Every time I tried to uninstall it would say it can delete because the file is being used elsewhere, even though I'd closed everything. My feeling is, those programs were so deeply embedded in my hard drive that extraction would have been next to impossible.  I snooped in the registry but I couldn't tell one file from another.

Anyway, if any of you happen to run into Conduit or Sweetpacks then pack a lunch 'cause you're going to have a long drive. :)

#5 hbyton

hbyton

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:08 AM

You could have ran these two programs

Adwcleaner

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

and Junkware removal tool

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/junkware-removal-tool/

These are designed to remove that sort of thing and would have fixed your problem in about 5 minutes. Sorry i did not see this earlier because it would have saved you a lot of time.

However there is a great extension for chrome that can be installed that will stop ads from showing on websites. (see link below)

Adblock- give it a try, its free :)

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom?hl=en

As for spybot and and iobit, i personally don't rate either of these programs. I don't like spybot because i don't find it very effective and i can never trust iobit again after they stole definitions from malwarebytes.

Edited by hbyton, 02 October 2013 - 08:09 AM.

#6 ComputerNeophyte

ComputerNeophyte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:22 AM

You could have ran these two programs

Adwcleaner

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

and Junkware removal tool

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/junkware-removal-tool/

These are designed to remove that sort of thing and would have fixed your problem in about 5 minutes. Sorry i did not see this earlier because it would have saved you a lot of time.

However there is a great extension for chrome that can be installed that will stop ads from showing on websites. (see link below)

Adblock- give it a try, its free :)

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom?hl=en

As for spybot and and iobit, i personally don't rate either of these programs. I don't like spybot because i don't find it very effective and i can never trust iobit again after they stole definitions from malwarebytes.

Thanks for the info.  I'm wondering if those malware removals really work, not that I need them now, just wondering.  I'm naïve, and believed that Malwarebytes could find and "clean" my system of those files and their effects, but they clearly failed to do so.  I felt so smug and smart, thinking I was fast learning how to be a nerdy but smart geek. ;)  Now, I'm not slamming Malwarebytes, it's just that I'm realizing there's more than one tool in the box. I suspect that I might have tried the ones you recommend but they too may have failed to do the job, not to sound ungracious.  I would expect that malware like Conduit and Sweetpacks update often to evade countermeasures, but I can't say for sure because I know so little.  Anyway, I appreciate your telling me, and I would consider using them if it happened again, as a learning experience, if nothing else.  Later:))

#7 hbyton

hbyton

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:47 AM

I can tell you first hand from cleaning countless infections just like yours (conduit, sweetpacks) that the tools defiantly do work and are extremely effective.

Sweetpacks and conduit are not necessarily malware, they are described as potentially unwanted programs aka "pups" most antivirus software will not detect pups because they do not consider it as malware. That is why we have tools like adwcleaner and junkware removal tool because they are specifically designed to target these kind of infections. 

I wish you a happy and pup free future :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users