Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Optiplex 360 not finding HD or DVD drive.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ruthe

Ruthe

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:18 PM

This computer is one that our pastor wanted me to bring home to see if it could be upgraded enough to do streaming video on you tube.,  It's a Dell Optiplex 360 with an Intel core 2 duo processor and 3 GB RAM.  It says on the case that it has Vista on it, but it has XP Pro.  When I first turned it on it came to a previous secretary's user page.  I was unable to get past that, so I reset the BIOS.  First of all I had to really clean it up good inside and out.  It hadn't been used in a while and was full of dust etc.  Now when I turn it on it doesn't find my HD or DVD.  The HD is first boot in the BIOS.  I ran the system start up tests and they came back ok.  I can take the HD out and piggyback it up here to mine and I can see all the programs, so know it's not a bad HD.  I would appreciate any suggestions as to what I should do next.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,884 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:37 PM

Exact wording of error message when trying to boot?

Louis

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:30 PM

When You turn it one and the Dell logo appears, Press F12 to get to the device boot menu.

From there as a test, do You see the hard drive? If so select it and see if it boots.

Resetting the BIOS may have changed a setting for Boot device order or You may have changed the drive controller mode to or from IDE to AHCI or AHCI to IDE. Either change will keep it from booting beyond a blue screen and may cause trouble installing XP as an example.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users