Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Erroneous Low Memory Warning

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 neumannu47

neumannu47

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:40 AM

A Lenovo ThinkCentre M90p has started throwing a low memory warning even though the computer has 6GB of memory:

53ff58de6265581837491bbc33d0a094.png

While it's possible, I don't think the problem is malware. Scans with Malwarebytes and Microsoft Security Essentials come up clean. Hitman Pro will not work because the machine used to join a domain. The RAM passed memtest86 tests nine times with no issues. The hard drive passes diagnostics (both Western Digital and SpinRite) with flying colors. There are no bulging capacitors on the motherboard. The system passes Passmark's Performance Test without issue.

I'm out of places to look for solutions. The original complaint is that the computer would operate very slowly. It could take as much as a minute to open IE or Firefox. My thought for tonight is to create a new OS build on a new hard drive and see whether I'm fighting a hardware problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:17 PM

The problem is that you only have 6GB of free space.  As a rule of thumb, a hdd should 15% free space.  There are three hdds offered for this computer, 160GB, 250GB, 1TB.  On a 160GB hdd 155% free space would be 24GB.

You have a couple of options, one would be to add a second internal or external  hdd and transfer enough data to it create an adequate amount of free (swap) space.  Another would be to transfer data to a removable source of media, like DVDs, flash drives, etc.

Edited to add the following:  Microsoft has suggestions for maintaining free space, you can read it here.

As it stands, I don't believe you have enough free space to do the following, but it would be useful information.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Edited by dc3, 01 October 2013 - 12:59 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 neumannu47

neumannu47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:10 PM

Arachibutyrophobia, thanks for your response. I think you misread my post. The computer has 6GB of memory - not available hard disk space. There is plenty of hdd space. In any case, I will run Speccy and upload the report later today. 

Edited by neumannu47, 01 October 2013 - 01:10 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:05 PM

One possibility could be a memory leak in one of your programs.

You can monitor the memory use by opening Task Manager after Windows boots and click on the Processes tab.  Watch the Memory column, the memory will start out low or normal, but will start to rise and continue to do so.  The program exhibiting this will be the culprit.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 neumannu47

neumannu47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:35 AM

I created a new installation of Windows 7. So far, the problem has not reappeared. It must be something with Windows.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:11 AM

Glad to hear you resolved this issue. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users