Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice on uprading motherboard/CPU

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 AimeeC1

AimeeC1

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:49 AM

I have motherboard RS480M skt 939 CPU AMD Athlon 64 3000+ & would like to upgrade. Sadly I only have a budget of £200. It will need to be compatible with my current hardware (some info below, please let me know if you need more) & allow for further upgrades in the future. Is this possible?

Graphics ATI Radeon HD4650

2GB RAM (2 x Corsair VS1GB400C3)

OS Windows 7

Edited by hamluis, 01 October 2013 - 10:33 AM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to System Building/Upgrading - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 myopinion

myopinion

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:21 AM

Deleted by OP requiest.

Edited by myopinion, 01 October 2013 - 09:07 PM.

#3 AimeeC1

AimeeC1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:31 AM

It's the mobo & CPU I want to replace if possible so that's fine. I can't afford to replace all my hardware at the same time which is why I'm trying to find out if I can replace mobo & CPU & still be compatible with my other hardware. PSU is ATX 12v model 450UB. Hard Drive is original to PC Deskstar 7K250. Does that help?

#4 myopinion

myopinion

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:49 AM

Deleted by OP request.

Edited by myopinion, 01 October 2013 - 09:07 PM.

#5 myopinion

myopinion

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:57 AM

Deleted by Op request.

Edited by myopinion, 01 October 2013 - 09:08 PM.

#6 AimeeC1

AimeeC1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:08 AM

Thanks! That's great news. I'm glad I asked because I was expecting to be told I should wait to save up more money.

Yes I'm in the UK. I'll have to see if I can get the same here. We seem to pay more for less here. My hard drive is overdue an upgrade too but I'll have to do that later.

PSU has a 20+4 connector & 4 pin connector so I will bear that in mind.

Doubling my RAM would be nice so I'm happy for the excuse.

Should I be checking that the new mobo has the right type & number of sockets for my other hardware (graphics, audio, DVD rewriter)?

#7 AimeeC1

AimeeC1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:20 AM

I had to check what an APU was as opposed to CPU. if I understand right it integrates graphics making a graphics card redundant? If I got a CPU wouldn't that allow more room for upgrades in the future? Wouldn't I also be able to get a more powerful CPU for the same price. I already have a graphics card which is sufficient for now so I might as well use it.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:32 AM

What is the purpose of this projected "ugpgrade"?

What will the NEW...do that the OLD doesn't?

The motherboard is the last item I would consider when doing a system upgrade...unless I really wanted to upgrade my CPU/RAM performance. 

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 06 October 2013 - 09:09 AM.

#9 AimeeC1

AimeeC1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:54 AM

The purpose? To play Games. I'm finding my PC won't run the new one's I want to play. Also, I've already upgraded RAM as much as I can & I figured upgrading CPU on it's own would be a waste of money? Let me know if you think there's a CPU that's significantly better & compatible. I tried looking but there didn't seem to be anything worth the price. Ideally I want to make my PC better in the short term with room for improvement in the future.

#10 myopinion

myopinion

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:36 PM

Deleted by OP request.

Edited by myopinion, 01 October 2013 - 09:08 PM.

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:39 PM

Hi,

One other thing to take into consideration is that 99% that your windows will not run and 100% that it will need to be activated once you change the motherboard. So take that into consideration in planning for the upgrade.

Most likely You will have to re-install windows.

If You have a retail copy of Windows 7 then You are OK as far as installing it again. OEM copies have a license that ties the install to the motherboard.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#12 AimeeC1

AimeeC1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:50 PM

Hi,

One other thing to take into consideration is that 99% that your windows will not run and 100% that it will need to be activated once you change the motherboard. So take that into consideration in planning for the upgrade.

Most likely You will have to re-install windows.

If You have a retail copy of Windows 7 then You are OK as far as installing it again. OEM copies have a license that ties the install to the motherboard.

Good Luck

Roger

Thanks Roger That's certainly something to consider! It crossed my mind but I forgot to ask about it so you probably saved me a lot of stress. It will probably be an issue for me. I don't have the original OS installed but I upgraded to windows 7 ultimate OS as a free upgrade. If I have windows 7 ultimate on disk still & I make a note of the product ID, do you think I will be able to re-install and activate it when I upgrade or will I need to buy a retail copy?

Cheers

#13 myopinion

myopinion

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:27 PM

Deleted by OP request.

Edited by myopinion, 01 October 2013 - 08:50 PM.

#14 AimeeC1

AimeeC1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:33 PM

I never thought about it but I would have assumed that if you paid for your OS then it's yours for life, not the life of your motherboard. However, as interesting as this is, i'm still going to point out that it's not relevant to my situation so if you could create your own post about it, I would be grateful.

#15 myopinion

myopinion

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:50 PM

it's not relevant to my situation so if you could create your own post about it

Whoa! At this point NOBODY knows what you had originally and I was only trying to follow up because you never really answered Roger's concern regarding your original installation being OEM or retail. Your response here also tells me you don't even know what you have:

I don't have the original OS installed but I upgraded to windows 7 ultimate OS as a free upgrade. If I have windows 7 ultimate on disk still & I make a note of the product ID, do you think I will be able to re-install and activate it when I upgrade or will I need to buy a retail copy?

Start my own thread? On what? Your issue? Good luck.

BTW, my elaborate response was geared towards providing some possible insight regarding your last question in bold.

Edited by myopinion, 01 October 2013 - 09:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users