Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC for my Grandma

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 UIMA

UIMA

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:13 AM

Hey guys,

My grandpa wants to replace my grandma's PC, so instead of paying too much for lackluster hardware, I convinced him to let me build it. I wanted to see if you guys had any suggestions yourself. I'm merely looking for a most bang for your buck system, that can handle generally web browsing and emailing. After many revisions, here is the build I'm currently looking at:

AMD

CPU:  AMD A8-5600K 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard:  Biostar Hi-Fi A85S3 Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard  ($58.38 @ Newegg) 
Memory:  Crucial Ballistix 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($33.81 @ NCIX US) 
Case:  Cougar Spike MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($19.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply:  Corsair CX 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply  ($37.99 @ Microcenter) 
Total: $320.15

Intel

CPU:  Intel Pentium G3220 3.0GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($69.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard:  ASRock H81M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($52.99 @ Microcenter) 
Video Card:  Sapphire Radeon HD 5450 1GB Video Card  ($19.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply:  Corsair CX 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply  ($37.99 @ Microcenter) 
Total: $315.38

I welcome all of your thoughts on the matter and am open to changing anything. I can't seem to get people to agree whether it's best to go Haswell or APU. After much reading I decided a dedicated graphics card would be necessary in the Intel build, but I'm still leaning towards it. Also, my grandpa is footing the bill and isn't concerned about cost, but I'd like to keep it on the cheap side. Above all else though, I want this to be the last system she ever has to buy. Let me know your thoughts, not use to building in the low end like this. 8)

Edited by UIMA, 01 October 2013 - 06:12 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:28 AM

Both builds look pretty good for grandma, and they can provide you a place to game if you visit often.

Edited by cryptodan, 01 October 2013 - 05:29 AM.

#3 UIMA

UIMA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:34 AM

Haha, I've been up too late researching. I accidentally put the Intel build twice, just edited the AMD build into the post.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:50 AM

they still look good for grandma so my original statement still works My crystal ball is working today lol

#5 myopinion

myopinion

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:52 AM

After much reading I decided a dedicated graphics card would be necessary in the Intel build

Grandma won't need a dedicated graphics card. The Intel HD graphics work perfectly for the everyday (average) user. So, save yourself some money there. For comparison, I use an Intel G2020 processor (HD2500 graphics) and my Win8 WEI scores are 5.6 (2D) and 6.2 (3D). That's plenty of power for grandma. BTW, I built a similar rig for exactly $249.00 a few months ago and the only difference is that I chose to use 8GBs of Microcenter generic RAM and it hasn't given me any issues yet.

#6 UIMA

UIMA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:13 AM

If nothing else, it would give me piece of mind. But, the G3220 simply has a Intel HD GPU, not even a HD 2000. It also lacks any features at all: http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033757.htm

QuickSync is also unsupported: http://ark.intel.com/products/77773/

Feels like HD video will struggle.

Also, managed to mess up twice, real current AMD build now edited into topic.  :oopsign: 

#7 myopinion

myopinion

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:17 AM

More information regarding your build:

I definitely agree with cryptodan that you are on the right track for grandma's build. Since I stated that I built a similar rig for $249.00, here is my build for your reference:

CPU - G2020

Motherboard - ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0

Memory - 8GB of Microcenter generic RAM

Storage - Patriot PYRO 60 GB SSD

Graphics Card - None

Case - Generic cheapo

Power Supply - Inland Gold (but I like your Corsair)

Now, here are my WEI scores:

ie9f.png

Note: Slipped a notch on 2D after driver update yesterday.

Here is my SSD benchmark:

dofg.jpg

Throw in a Win 8 UEFI install and you'll have grandma cold booting to her desktop in 6 - 8 seconds flat! Good luck. 

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:19 AM

Either one will do perfectly fine for grandma, and should give you enough to play some of the latest games at medium graphical settings.

#9 myopinion

myopinion

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:25 AM

Feels like HD video will struggle.

My G2020 has no issues whatsoever under everyday user conditions. All videos are high quality. In fact, I had an extra HD Radeon 6450 (leftover) from another build that I tested in my rig and it actually did nothing to improve my video experience. In fact, my WEI scores were actually lower. Also, I do quite a bit of fairly intense video editing and the G2020 doesn't even blink! Now, if you expect grandma to get into multitasking while watching or editing videos, then please ignore my suggestions.

#10 UIMA

UIMA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:04 AM

Glad to hear someone has done a similar build to what I want to do.

Maybe something like this?

Motherboard:  ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard  ($58.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory:  Crucial Ballistix 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($73.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $334.04

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:12 AM

id go with one of the cheaper ones with the dedicated video card.

#12 myopinion

myopinion

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:17 AM

Id go with a CPU and motherboard combination that is capable of HD2500/4000 graphics. Much better than a low-end video card. Less heat, less noise, one less thing to worry about!

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:39 AM

True but in the event the on board one fails there would be no back up and shed be out of a computer until her son could fix it with a dedicated one. This way if the dedicated one fails, they could discuss how to enable the onboard one via phone call to give her access back.

#14 myopinion

myopinion

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:44 AM

True but in the event the on board one fails there would be no back up and shed be out of a computer until her son could fix it with a dedicated one. This way if the dedicated one fails, they could discuss how to enable the onboard one via phone call to give her access back.

Ok, I see that logic; however, I never thought of building a PC for grandma with the caveat that she would have a back-up for a graphics issue and there is no way I would want to try and talk my grandma (or grandpa) through pulling a video card and reverting to internal graphics. Right now, she would have no back up for the CPU, hard drive, PSU or anything else for that matter. Anyway, thanks for providing your supporting logic behind your recommendation.

#15 UIMA

UIMA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:54 AM

Something like the G645?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users