Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C drive disappearing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 yknujssab

yknujssab

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:45 PM

Hello, 

For about the past week or two I've been having problems with my computer. Chrome has been crashing and when it does I have to reboot because it says the program doesn't exist. Also most of the icons on my screen disappear. I noticed this time around that my "C" drive was gone. Sometimes when I go to reboot it just shuts off the screen and doesn't shut off. I'm not sure if I have some kind of virus or if it's the harddive failing. I've checked my BIOS and it's up to date. I ran malwarebytes and nothing there.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate (64) and have 3 internal HDDs. The "C" drive is a Western Digital 500 GB.

Any help or ideas appreciated.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:56 PM

I would highly recommend that you start to back up your data, and then try using a different SATA Cable, and if that doesn't work then I would recommend using the Data Lifeguard Tools from http://www.wdc.com to see if it passes all the tests. If that files, then it is time to replace the hard drive.

#3 yknujssab

yknujssab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:28 AM

Thanks for the quick response. I did use Data Lifeguard and it passed the SMART status. I also did a quick test and it passed. I'll do the extended test tonight and see what it comes up with. I did run scndsk and it found and replaced two bad sectors. One in Chrome and one in Firefox.

Is there a way i can backup certain programs and restore them on a fresh install? I was think maybe I can partition one this drive and reinstall windows.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:32 AM

More than likely you will reinstall all programs over again due to the registry being in play with Windows.

#5 yknujssab

yknujssab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:29 AM

Ok, finished running the extended test. It found bad sectors but when I attempted to repair them, it said there was an error.

Test Result: FAIL Test Error Code: 08-Error was detected while repairing bad sectors.

So I'm assuming that the drive is failing.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:45 AM

Time to back up existing data, and replace the drive.

#7 yknujssab

yknujssab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:47 PM

Well that sucks. Ok I guess backing up is what I'll do. Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users