Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Word 2000 hosed a file

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mac29

Mac29

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:01 PM

I'm running Word 2000 (ver 9.0.2720) on Windows 7 (64b) and have never had a problem like this, installed on my XP or on 7. Was working on a file and suddenly it had a hiccup. Said some disc error I think. So did a save and threw a numeral after the filename, thinking it should save a 2nd file. Nope, just one file now named Whey notes 2. Went to open it and small window 'in use by another user.' Also says it is 'write protected' but Properties says it is not. Copied and tried to open the copy and it's all oriental characters. Great. The folder also has a temp file now. Not sure what to do. Thinking the hard drive (relatively new) came across a bad sector (so I can do a scan but the disk is very new : )  ).

It's not my thesis but is very unusual. Only copying some quotes into the file but using Sandboxy. I can do a V scan later but I'm sure that won't be the issue. Sandboxy has been foolproof for years. Can attribute the hiccup to various paths w/don't really matter now. I can monitor. But how can I get this file back?

Thanks,

Mac

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:44 PM

The disk error may have corrupted that particular file. Try moving it out of the folder to the desktop and opening it from there, and see if the error occurs again. Or, see if you can go back to a previous version -- look under the File tab. The number at the end of the file name indicates the computer autosaved the file.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users