Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell E1505 Screen Stays Black...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 poly510

poly510

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:04 PM

Hello everyone, I know the Dell E1505 is OLD, but I want to get it up and running and use it solely in my garage for PDFs and such for auto maintenance.

The computer worked fine for 6 years, only needed a keyboard replacement. Then I stored it under my bed in a padded backpack, and when I took it out last week, the screen would not turn on.

I tried connecting it to an external monitor, but that didn't do anything.

I tried using a bright light to see the screen, but it remains pitch black.

I am fairly handy, and want to try and fix this myself, but don't know what the problem could be.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 myopinion

myopinion

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:39 PM

Hi poly510,

Never ran across this specific situation so take whatever I say with a grain of salt. Anyway, the first thing I would try is removing the battery and running on AC. I see where you have tried it on an external monitor so, other that the "AC only" suggestion, I would have to say that 6 years is a long time for a laptop to sit so maybe your hard drive might be having issues as well. Anyway, good luck.

Edited by myopinion, 30 September 2013 - 09:09 PM.

#3 poly510

poly510
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:12 PM

My apologies, I should have been more specific. The computer is running. I can hear it boot, and it continues to run and generate heat even though the screen is not working.

It boots and runs on battery alone as well as AC alone.

#4 myopinion

myopinion

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:47 PM

Thanks for that clarification; however, that still leaves me in the dark (no pun intended). Anyway, there is no way to tell if the boot is successful (am I correct?) and you specifically mention "generate heat." So, is this heat excessive? Does it feel really hot on the surface or is it noticeable in the air coming from the vents? Either way, you might want to try a good general cleaning and if that doesn't work, you might also try reapplying new thermal compound between the CPU and the heat sinks for starters. After 6 years of non-use, it might have lost its ability to transfer heat (from the CPU to the heat-sink) properly. All just guesses on my part.

#5 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:10 AM

At that age I would definitely considering changing out the CMOS battery.

If that doesn't work:

Open the body and check for dirt/residue. Pull the hard drive and check it in another computer.

If it tests ok:

Complete Screen Assembly for $20

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Inspiron-15-4-1525-1501-E1505-WXGA-Glossy-LCD-Screen-Complete-Assembly-/161116468216

If THAT doesn't help:

You probably have a bad motherboard. You can attempt to reflow it (I've had mixed success) and that could fix it.

Edited by Netghost56, 01 October 2013 - 09:12 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users