Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 Networks 1 Connection (Do I switch or do I route?)

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 elgati

elgati

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:21 PM

Hello All,

I am thinking of sharing a FiOS connection with my landlord upstairs, but I don't want to be stuck with a lousy WiFi connection coming from his router, and I also want to use my NAS drive. So I am proposing that he send me down an ethernet cable for me to build a separate network here.

The question is what hardware do we need and where along the line do we place it?

Should I place a switch before both routers?

ISP-->Switch-->[His Router],[My Router]

Or should I just daisy chain my router to his?

ISP-->His Router-->My Router

Thanks a bunch!

José

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:50 PM

If you want to maintain a sense a privacy, then I would suggest that you build a firewall via SMoothwall, and share the connection like that.

FIOS > Land Lord Modem > Your Firewall > Your Switch > Your Private Network separated from his.

http://www.smoothwall.org/about/screenshots/

#3 myopinion

myopinion

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:51 PM

I don't quite understand your current configuration. Anyway, why can't your landlord just establish a wireless connection directly to your router (if equipped and in range). The reason I am suggesting that method is because I can see my neighbors full strength signal and I am guessing that he is further away than your landlord (upstairs). You could set up a separate guest account for him (if your router is capable of that). Also, see my signature below. Good luck.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:56 PM

Building material has a lot to do with signal propagation, because if there is plaster and chicken wire in the walls you can be in the next room and the signal will be trapped in that room due to the fact its called a faraday cage.

#5 elgati

elgati
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:14 PM

Thanks @myopinion and @ cryptodian,

Currently I'm using his DSL WiFi and the signal dies off in different parts of the house. He doesn't want to drill new holes on the house so he insists that the connection come through him first, and of course I insist on an ethernet connection.

BTW, I forgot to mention we have 3 PCs downstairs and they have 2 upstairs.

Sorry, cryptodan is Smoothwall just a firewall? Where does it reside? A switch? A PC? I am asking mostly because I need to know if we need a switch or not. And where to split the signal. Before any router or after one of them.

Thanks for your patience I'm mostly a OOP person with only superficial knowledge about network configurations.

#6 myopinion

myopinion

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:17 PM

Building material has a lot to do with signal propagation, because if there is plaster and chicken wire in the walls you can be in the next room and the signal will be trapped in that room due to the fact its called a faraday cage.

Thanks for that information. I do understand the possible ramifications of interference as I use to certify equipment for EMI compliancy to Bellcore standards at many independent test labs across the country (including UL Labs in Illinois). Also, I do understand that your suggestion is (technically) much better than mine; however, I still think mine is a better first try for the following reasons:

If the signal strength is full, then it will most likely remain full because walls, chicken wire, and plaster do not move. It will also give the OP a chance to "sample" the usage and habits of his landlord without building an entire network. Moreover, if the landlord ends up being a bandwidth hog (eg, constantly downloading/streaming full-length movies), it could affect the OPs service because there is only so much "true bandwidth" to go around. Also, around my parts, FIOS is offered in a 35/10 package and Comcast is offered in a 50/10 package so FIOS is not "all that" around here. Anyway, good suggestion on your part but I'd hate to put out that extra cash just to find out I was sorry I did. Cheers!

Edited by myopinion, 30 September 2013 - 08:29 PM.

#7 myopinion

myopinion

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:22 PM

so he insists that the connection come through him

Your connection and he "insists?" Does your router signal fade when "HE" tries to establish a connection to YOUR router? Anyway, good luck. Keep working with cryptodan.

Edited by myopinion, 30 September 2013 - 08:27 PM.

#8 elgati

elgati
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:35 PM

Thanks mypinion,

I actually don't like FiOS but we have a senile/hostile neighbor who refuses to let Time Warner into her propoerty to place new connections. She's been holding the whole block hostage for years. Yes, I know crazy stuff. Only in NY.  :P

So we are stuck with Verizon DSL or FiOS. He currently has the DSL, which he doesn't charge us for connecting to but wants to upgrade to FiOS and share costs. I am telling him yes if you send me an ethernet cable down the stairs. I'm sure I could just connect my router to that, but is that the right way to do it? That's what I'm wondering. Online I mostly find information about subnet masking and firewalls but nothing on the actual hardware connection.

#9 myopinion

myopinion

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:46 PM

Hi elgati,

So, its actually the other way around and you are trying to share his new service. If so, and you want to use an Ethernet connection, then I would advise you to work with cryptodan to protect your privacy. Good luck.

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:52 PM

One other consideration you might want to take into account. Although I commend you for wanting to share your bandwidth. You should probably look at your TOS to be sure you're not liable for fines or more severe penalties for your actions. ISP's are notorious for not being favorable to customers who give away their bandwidth to another potential customer. Yes you are paying for a service and bandwidth, but the TOS does not authorize you to give it away for free especially outside of your dwelling.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:21 PM

Thanks mypinion,

I actually don't like FiOS but we have a senile/hostile neighbor who refuses to let Time Warner into her propoerty to place new connections. She's been holding the whole block hostage for years. Yes, I know crazy stuff. Only in NY.  :P

So we are stuck with Verizon DSL or FiOS. He currently has the DSL, which he doesn't charge us for connecting to but wants to upgrade to FiOS and share costs. I am telling him yes if you send me an ethernet cable down the stairs. I'm sure I could just connect my router to that, but is that the right way to do it? That's what I'm wondering. Online I mostly find information about subnet masking and firewalls but nothing on the actual hardware connection.

What is that you do not like about FiOS it is far superior to any ISP I have used, and they are very fast compared to Comcast and other broadband providers.  I have been using FiOS for about 4 years now, and I have only had about .01% down time and that was not my fault it was due to the Derecho that came through, and a failing ONT in my closet.  I recommend FiOS to all my friends and co-workers and they have had no issues what so ever.  The speed is always 100% garanteed, and I have had no drop in speed on my 85/45 connection with FiOS.  Time Warner is crap because of the whole CBS issue locking out customers, and their service is horrendous.  If I bought service on the basis of reviews I would not buy or recommend Time Warner to anyone, because their service is down right despicable as I have heard from many friends that have had it.  Its comparable to Comcasts when their is a simple rain storm and it causes the internet to go out, and also their customer service was crap when reporting issues.

But I highly recommend FiOS over Time Warner any day.

#12 elgati

elgati
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:28 PM

Thanks cryptodan,

Yes, we're going with FiOS. The main caveat is the price that's all.

But anyway, on your configuration:

FIOS > Land Lord Modem > Your Firewall > Your Switch > Your Private Network separated from his.

The part I'm not clear on is where that firewall resides. I know there are stand alone boxes with firewalls and I know I can set one up on each PC.

But from his modem to my router how do I split the cable so that he can have an ethernet connection to do as he pleases as well? Do I use a switch to split it out to each router or do I tether my router to his router?

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:31 PM

The firewall would exist in your apartment on your end of the wire so you will have full control over it and the box would have 2 network cards.  One network card for the Virtual WAN Interface, and 1 for your private network. 

So it would be in your full view and full control.

FiOS > FiOS Modem > Land Lord end of wire > Your end of Wire > Smooth Wall Firewall > Your Private LAN

#14 elgati

elgati
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:34 PM

So it looks like this then?

Modem> Landlord router> My router> Whatever Firewall configuration> My PCs

#15 myopinion

myopinion

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:35 PM

response withdrawn.

Edited by myopinion, 30 September 2013 - 09:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users