Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook 2013 (64bit) profile problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 goooner

goooner

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:19 PM

Hi everyone,

hope someone can help me here. I've recently installed Office 2013 (32 bit) on my windows 7 (64bit) for testing perposes. After tsting it for about a week (everything went fine), I removed it from my computer using the add/remove programs feature in the control panel. I re-installed the 64bit Office version, and since then I've had the popup from Outlook asking me which profile it should use?. I followed the steps offered by Microsoft, but the 'problem' is still there.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/turn-on-or-off-profile-prompt-HA102749211.aspx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:55 PM

Unfortunately, uninstalling Outlook doesn't necessarily delete the profiles associated with it.

I'm assuming you only want to use one profile. Under Control Panel>Mail, see if the other profile is still listed there. If so, delete it.

If that doesn't solve the issue, you may have to go into the registry and make a change to one of the keys. It is recommended to save the current version of the registry before making changes:

Type regedit.exe in the Run window, press Enter
Locate the following registry key and either rename it or delete it (I suggest renaming it):

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows
Messaging Subsystem\Profiles (rename Profiles portion of this key - not the entire key)
Then Create a new profile using the Control Panel>Mail

#3 goooner

goooner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:34 AM

Unfortunately, uninstalling Outlook doesn't necessarily delete the profiles associated with it.

I'm assuming you only want to use one profile. Under Control Panel>Mail, see if the other profile is still listed there. If so, delete it.

If that doesn't solve the issue, you may have to go into the registry and make a change to one of the keys. It is recommended to save the current version of the registry before making changes:

Type regedit.exe in the Run window, press Enter
Locate the following registry key and either rename it or delete it (I suggest renaming it):

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows
Messaging Subsystem\Profiles (rename Profiles portion of this key - not the entire key)
Then Create a new profile using the Control Panel>Mail

Thanks for the reply,

I've installed the 32bit version at work as I'm planning a roll-out early next year, and the problem occurs here as well. It only happens when Outlook is not running, and keeps on popping up even after I tick the box to make this my default profile. Very annoying. Changing the registry values on close to 50 PC's is not really an option. I can't find anything on the web either, am I the only one with this problem :wacko:

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:25 PM

At this point, I'd say it's probably a licensing issue -- it may still be detecting that other 32-bit install you used for testing purposes. If that's the case, at least you have options how to remove it, including some using the command prompt, which usually work when all else fails: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2739501

#5 janeparker

janeparker

• Banned Spammer
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:27 PM

I think that senior member " sflatechguy " has already given the right answer. Just delete the unnecessarily profiles. Good Answer " sflatechguy ".  :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users