Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Dell What Do I Need To Keep It Smooth

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 idontno

idontno

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 27 April 2006 - 01:58 PM

Hey....I have done lots of reading.I just got my DellB110.It has XP Home and I installed the free Mcafee Security that came with it.I know it not the best but it's free.Good or bad.I'm on DSL .What else can I do to keep it running smooth? What can I Download or Delete that will help my puter .DO I need all the stuff Dell put on it?...idontno

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chlazzaro177

chlazzaro177

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 02:13 PM

I use Mcafee Security at work and i've had no issues. To keep it running smooth just don't download a lot of useless programs and stay away from certain bad websites. Plus there are a lot of useful information already listed on this board. Run disk defrag as well. But since you have a new computer you won't really have to worry yet.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 27 April 2006 - 05:39 PM

In addition to your antivirus, I'd suggest these security programs:
(They're all free.)

aČ free - a complementary product to antivirus software which is specialized in protection against harmful software. Antivirus software often features an inadequate protection against Trojans, Dialers and Spyware. aČ fills this gap.

ewido security suite - offers protection against urgently growing threats like Trojans, Worms, Dialers, Hijackers, Spyware and Keyloggers. Windows 2000 and XP, only.

Ad-Aware - A good program similar to SpyBot S & D.

Spybot S&D - Detects and removes spyware, of different types, from your computer.

Spywareblaster - A good program that prevents spyware from being installed on your computer in the first place. This program is always running in the background, protecting your computer. It prevents the installation of bad active X controls found in web pages.

SpywareGuard - A nice compliment to SpywareBlaster. This allows you the option to prevent downloads that contain bad active X controls.

These programs, updated and used regularly, will do a lot to keep your computer clean of spyware, trojans, keyloggers, browser hijackers, etc...

Download them, update them, and then run them.

When installing ewido security suite, under Additional Options uncheck:
Install background guard
Install scan via context menu

Important:
Please read this tutorial on Spybot S&D before using it. Spybot can do SERIOUS damage, if not used properly.

Other useful Tutorials:
Using Ad-Aware SE
Using SpywareBlaster
Using SpywareGuard
Using Ewido

I would also install a better firewall, than the one provided by Windows.
Either of these are good:
(both free)

Sygate Personal Firewall
ZoneAlarm
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 idontno

idontno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 06:09 PM

Thanks.I have firewall in McAfee too.Plus virus scan,and spam killer.DO I need all the others if I have this much already?I didn't know if they would bump heads with what u suggested.....idontno

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 09:19 PM

Nothing I suggested, should cause conflicts, with anything you have.
Only run ONE antivirus.
Only run ONE firewall.
Run as many spyware/malware programs as your system will handle.
There is no one antivirus/spyware program, that will catch everything.
That's why it's a good idea to run "layered protection".
Most of our members run these programs.

Just trying to keep you safe, and out of our HijackThis Logs and Analysis forum, idontno. :thumbsup:
Click the link, look around, and see what can happen, if your not protected.

Also have a look at our tutorial:
Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet
That should answer a lot of your questions.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#6 idontno

idontno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2006 - 06:58 AM

Thanks so much.I hope I never get to your hijackthis logs.With your help. I'm sure it will be a great.I read this forum daily.Keep up the great work you do for me and others.Computers are one of the hardest things i ever tried to master.I've been at it for 7 yrs and was self taught.Still have lot's to learn and lot's more to come..idontno

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2006 - 09:30 AM

You're welcome, idontno.
No, having to visit the HijackThis forums, isn't something you want to, have to do, but it is there, if you need it.

Computers are one of the hardest things i ever tried to master.I've been at it for 7 yrs and was self taught.Still have lot's to learn and lot's more to come.

You've come to the right place to learn. :thumbsup:
If there's anything else we can help you with, just let us know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users