Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spray painting old cases

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tragedy1191

Tragedy1191

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:26 PM

Hi,

has anybody ever spray painted old and ugly looking cases? I have a couple, thought I could spice em up and be a little creative with them, and using stencils and such. Anybody know any with good quality affordable spray paints good for what I'am doing?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:48 PM

Any spray paint for metal should work, or plastic for plastic cases.

Ideally you would want to powedercoat the case, but realistically any old spray paint would work, just make sure ALL components are out of the system when you spray it.

#3 Tragedy1191

Tragedy1191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:49 PM

You know any reliable vendors? I heard that some brands chip off quickly 

#4 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:10 AM

Yes, definitely go for the higher end paint. Not Krylon! :P

The best way to go about it is several layers of paint, then a two layers of clear coat (satin or gloss- your pick) then get some "wet" sandpaper- it's ultra fine, usually black or grey colored paper- and a misting sprayer. Do a light sanding then do two more layers of clear coat, then another fine sanding.

It's not a cheap process  (I used about five cans of spray paint and 1/2 can of liquid) or quick (took about a week), but if done right and with some creativity you can get a great paint job.

Here's my first one, done in 2003. All metal case, except for the front panel (heavy mofo!)Photo06132208_zpscd02bf14.jpg

Photo06132208_1_zps7572b0b7.jpg

#5 Tragedy1191

Tragedy1191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:59 PM

Sry for the late response dude but that case looks legit man! So would you say it can be kinda difficult for a total beginner like me? =p

#6 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:34 AM

Depends on what kind of paint job you're planning, and what case you're using. A solid color paint job is pretty simple. The key is to make sure you tape over the holes on the inside of the case, also remove the motherboard backpanel if you can.

I completely stripped my case (all components out), carefully removed the buttons and LEDs from the front panel, removed all the fans, removed all screws and brackets (slot covers), then went over the metal with a piece of steel wool. Then wiped down the case with a cloth towel.

If you've never spray painted before I'd definitely get in some practice. Can spray paint is prone to spitting/dribbling so you need to know the right distance and the right method of spraying for best results. Since it's fast drying you can't really wipe up mistakes.

If you're planning on doing pin-striping that's a whole 'nother ballgame.

Decals are a good idea- just make sure you put them on before you start your clear coat layers.

I experimented with a few old cases so I knew how the metal would react. Again- cheap paint usually is latex based, and will peel very easily. If you're doing something like a two-tone paint job the tape will NOT come off the painted surface cleanly with latex paint. Go for acrylic- or better yet, go to a auto store and get High Heat paint.

Here's a good tutorial to get you started:

http://www.mnpctech.com/case-mod-paint-computer-pc-case-mod-how-to1.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users