Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot use canon easy photo print

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jaxhelp

jaxhelp

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:40 AM

New inspiron 660 windows 8 computer. Canon i865 installed and prints. Installed Canon easy photo print for windows 8 but cannot use as it displays ' no printer installed which supports this software' - help please

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:01 PM

That is an ancient printer, so it is possible that even though the software installed, the printer will never work with Windows 8.  Did it work before with the previous version of windows you had, on your old computer?  Have you tried a different USB cord, or made sure that the cord was connected to both the printer & computer, and the printer is turned on?  

Looking through some searches, appears that after around Vista, this printer was no longer recognized by current OS's.  The best I can say is welcome to planned obsolescence.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:38 PM

Jet i865

Available software

1. Easy-PhotoPrint EX Ver. 4.1.6 (Windows 8/8 x64/7/7 x64/Vista/Vista64/XP)

File version: 4.1.6

Operating system(s): Windows 8, Windows 8 (x64), Windows 7, Windows 7 (x64), Windows Vista, Windows Vista (x64), Windows XP

Language(s): English

Description:This file is a handy application program that allows you to create and print your own album, calendar, stickers, and CD-ROM labels* using the images you recorded with your digital camera. And furthermore, you can easily print borderless photos and so on. *: Only for the models supporting CD-ROM printing.

Edited by dc3, 01 October 2013 - 09:25 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 jaxhelp

jaxhelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:08 PM

Thanks for that. Did all work on XP but I think that you have convinced me to buy another printer which I thought I might have to do anyway. My Epson flatbed scanner and webcam also are not supported with suitable drivers - so more expense!

#5 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:34 PM

They did the same thing with XP & Vista.  Manufacturers would not jump on board ship with Microsoft, so Microsoft made it that manufacturers would have to sell new equipment to replace existing perfectly good working equipment.

Now of course if you were to install those units on a Linux machine, you probably would have no problem gaining all access to everything you had before.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:05 AM

It does appear that there are manufacturers who practice "planned obsolescence".  When asked why they don't produce drivers for newer Windows operating system they simply say that it isn't cost effective, or variations on that theme.

Canon seems to be one of the companies which are guilty of practicing this on a regular basis.  I had a two year old flatbed scanner which worked fine on my XP machine, but I couldn't find drivers for Windows 7.

One of the things I've seen work occasionally is to use drivers for the immediate previous version of Windows.  You could try using the Windows 7 driver, it wouldn't cost anything but your time.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not familiar with different Canon printers which have the same model number, specifically the i865.  Apparently There is a i865, and there is a Bubble jet i865.

The Canon website offers a driver for the i865 for Windows 7, but also shows drivers for the Bubble jet i865 for Windows 8, hence my suggestion in post #3.  More confusion brought to you by Canon.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:43 PM

dc3, we have Canon Microfilm scanners, that are supposed to work with Windows 7 & 8, but the drivers for them, along with the software does not work 100% with the older boards that are in them.  Of course the State of Illinois does not want to pay to replace the boards in the machines, or the machines, unless they are 100% non-repairable.  Then it is still old equipment that is the same as the other stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users