Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

moving/deleting files, needing Admin permission not working

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 szchris384

szchris384

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:04 AM

My friends computer is having issues with administrator permissions?  

I was tidying up his start menu, moving shortcuts to appropriate folders.  Which I've done many times on other computer without admin issues appearing.

Some times when deleting/moving files, it says you will need to provide administrator permission to move this file (it is a Windows Live Mail shortcut file), continue/skip/cancel.  

We click continue, the UAC show Program Name: File Operation, Publisher: Unknown, File Origin: Hard drive on this computer.Yes/No. We click yes,

File Access Denied comes up, You need permission to perform this action. You require permission from the computer's admin to make changes to this file.

Some other functions that require Admin permission work ok, some don't.

His account has been set as Administrator from day 1.

I've created another account and made it Administrator, same issues.

He has:

Win 7 64bit, 6gb ram

McAfee Security Center v11.6 Build 11.6.511, Affld 876

McAfee Virus Scan v15.6 Build 15.6.245, Last Update: 30/9/2013

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:48 AM

You need to open Windows Explorer, then right click on the folder or even C:\ drive to take over Security permissions.  See http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-files/how-do-i-change-folder-and-file-permissions/465f2b42-63dd-4486-8dd1-c870290efeed

#3 szchris384

szchris384
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:25 PM

Thanks for the info, I've followed the link and suggested fix,  here is what happened:

FYI: Users Norbert and Chris are set as Administrators

In the change owner to: this is what is displaying. 

Administrators (Norbert-PC\Administrators)

Chris (Norbert-PC\Chris)

I highlighted Chris and clicked apply

I get this window: "Unable to set new owner on HP (C:), Access is denied.

I've also tried adding Norbert to the owner list and change to him, same Access I denied screen.

Seeing as the first post in your suggested link should have fixed the issue - and it didn't, I'm not comfortable trying the other suggestions there until someone at bleepingcomputer suggests it.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Chris

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:28 PM

The only way to do it, is to go into Security and click on Advance, then choose Administrator or the user.  If the user is set as Standard or Limited, yes it will never work, when you give them administrator rights to folders.  Also depending on what Anti whatever software you are running, it to can keep you from giving administrator rights to a user.

The link I posted is the only way to change folder permissions, and has been that way since XP.  There is no other way to do it.

#5 szchris384

szchris384
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:27 AM

As I was poking around in his OS, there were some other oddities so we backed up and factory restored.  All is good now, thanks for your time.

Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users