Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 ASUS i5 HD failure and Black Screen of Death

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 smeagol22

smeagol22

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:29 AM

Last week the office manager at my job went to lunch and upon returning found her ASUS i5 laptop frozen solid.  She did a hard shut down and tried to restart, when the computer came back on, it was a black screen that said "failure to connect media".  I turned off the computer and removed the HD.  I plugged the hd into an external connection kit to my laptop and found that it was emitting a clicking sound and wouldn't load.. so I know the HD is bad.  I burnt Ubuntu to a DVD rom and put that into the computer, I then changed the boot method to booting from the DVD drive.  When the computer restarted it came up with a black screen with nothing on it.  I removed the DVD and tried to reboot, the same thing happened.  I went out and purchased a new HD and tried to reboot, the system lights are on, but still a black screen.  

I have taken out the battery, HD, and let the PC sit for about 30 minutes and then tried to reboot, same black screen.  Today I brought in a USB diagnostic tool and used it on the computer without the HD in it.  The code that displayed on the LCD was 'FF' which is a boot issue and usually points to the HD, correct?  I also plugged the laptop to an external VGA monitor, nothing came up, so I know the screen is not dead.  The laptop is only 9 months old.  

Right now the only thing useful I can use this PC for is a paper weight.  Any ideas on how to solve the issues at hand?  

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 675 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:42 AM

Sounds like it may be a dead motherboard. Since it's only nine months old, I'd RMA it under warranty.

#3 smeagol22

smeagol22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:55 AM

Thank you SpywareDoc.  Unfortunately the office manager doesn't know where the PC as purchased from, they purchased this before I began working at the office.  Would I be able to try and contact the manufacturer to see if they will fix it directly?  

#4 starfallplay

starfallplay

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:56 AM

Try removing the RAM and turn it back on.. then put the ram and turn it again.. Hope this help...

#5 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 675 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:58 AM

Yes, I'd try contacting ASUS.

#6 smeagol22

smeagol22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:15 AM

Try removing the RAM and turn it back on.. then put the ram and turn it again.. Hope this help...

Ok, I tried this as well, still getting a black screen.  Now when it does turn on, I can hear the fan running and also when it first boots it sounds like it tries to load something from the DVD drive and then stops.  

Any other ideas?  Is there a reset button inside of the laptop perhaps?  Thanks!

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:21 AM

Did she register this computer after purchasing it?

If she did ASUS should have this information and be able to help with a warranty repair.

If she didn't register this purchase she may be required to provide proof of the date of purchase.

Edited by dc3, 30 September 2013 - 10:22 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users