Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 fails to boot - Always prompts to restart

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Anzeroth

Anzeroth

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:27 AM

Hello,

Yesterday, I turned on my computer. As soon as the "starting Windows 7" screen was shown, it imediatelly changed into a black screen and a message that said:

Windows needs to be restarted.

Please ignore the windows error recovery screen

An automatic restart will occur in 10 seconds, press any key to restart immidiately.

After that, my PC restarts, shows the windows error recovery screen (during which I cannot do anything) and goes again to the Windows 7 screen which displays the same message as above.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 681 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:45 AM

Boot the computer from a Windows 7 DVD and run the Startup Repair.

#3 Anzeroth

Anzeroth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:50 AM

Thank you for the answer

I forgot to mention that I have already tried this 10 times without any success. I have also tried a system restore and the sfc/scannow command in cmd (which responded: there is a startup repair pending, which requires reboot to complete. Restart Windows and run sfc again.)

#4 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 681 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:55 AM

The next step then would be a System Image Recovery.

#5 myopinion

myopinion

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:56 AM

Were there any triggering events that you could possibly associate with this new issue (ie, downloaded/installed a bunch of Windows updates)? The reason I ask is because I am aware of (at least) 6 people who encountered this "boot-loop" issue right after downloading a bunch of Windows updates; however, they were all running Windows 8. Just consider this FYI as food for thought. Good luck.

Edited by myopinion, 30 September 2013 - 09:57 AM.

#6 Anzeroth

Anzeroth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:58 AM

Were there any triggering events that you could possibly associate with this new issue (ie, downloaded/installed a bunch of Windows updates)? The reason I ask is because I am aware of (at least) 6 people who encountered this "boot-loop" issue right after downloading a bunch of Windows updates; however, they were all running Windows 8. Just consider this FYI as food for thought. Good luck.

Yes, this issure occured after a series of windows updates. Do you know the solution the other people used when their computer displayed the same problems?

#7 myopinion

myopinion

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:23 PM

At this point I know that I (and others) made many suggestions at a different forum; however, I do not know if any of them worked. So, let me retrace that issue and see if I can find those suggestions and (possible) solutions for you. I'll be back.

#8 myopinion

myopinion

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:45 PM

At this point I know that I (and others) made many suggestions at a different forum; however, I do not know if any of them worked. So, let me retrace that issue and see if I can find those suggestions and (possible) solutions for you. I'll be back.

Unfortunately, none of the OPs ever responded with which suggestion might have fixed their boot-loop issues; however, these should apply to Windows 7 as well:

If you can get to a command prompt, try:  rstrui.exe

A recovery window should pop up, from which a restore point can be chosen (if available).

Also, I found this Win 7 boot-loop recovery disc from Microsoft that is intended to deal with two (April 2013) Windows 7 Updates that were causing a boot-loop issue::

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38435

Note: The above looks like it will get you to a point where you can uninstall recent updates so maybe it will work for you as well.

Good luck.

#9 Anzeroth

Anzeroth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:32 AM

Thank you for your suggestions.

I will try these solutions as soon as I have time and let you know.

#10 Anzeroth

Anzeroth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:48 AM

OK, I tried what you posted and none of them worked.

However, now, for some peculiar reason, windows boots immediately in safemode and reboots in 10 seconds. This happens again and again and will not stop, unless I shut down the machine.

In addition, my keyboard is disable during boot and cannot press F8 to configure my boot.

Anyone know a solution for this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users