Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tryin to get a 3 monitor setup workin

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 crhisdem

crhisdem

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:33 AM

this ma Graphics Cards http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202008

I seem to be haveing trouble getting all 3 monitors workin

I have the 3 monitors connected to displayport, hdmi and single link dvi ports Catalyst seems to detect all three are connected but will not allow me to use more than two of them, if all three are connected once two of them are active but it seeem like its imposiple to get the thrid one to do anything I can get all three to turn on in linux though

Edited by hamluis, 30 September 2013 - 09:34 AM.
Moved from XP to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jefferysitz

jefferysitz

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:06 AM

I can't seem to find it on a google search now, but it I think I remember something from a hardware class about some versions of Windows unable to display analog and digital displays at the same time.  I will look around some more and try to find it.

#3 jefferysitz

jefferysitz

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:12 AM

Are you running SP3 with XP?  Some issues I think with the earlier ones and multiple monitors.

Also, you might want to look at this link at Tom's Hardware.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1641103/monitors-setup-sapphire-7970.html

Edited by jefferysitz, 30 September 2013 - 10:26 AM.

#4 crhisdem

crhisdem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:21 PM

yes sp3, I can get any two to work together  by unpluuging one and restarting, the displayport is in analog mode since its hooked up to vga the hdmi will work with ether dvi or displayport all are runing at 60hz 1360x768 my card should support sapphire FLEX so being required to use displayport for the thrid monitor should not be nessasery although I am doing it anyways just by chance

I am leaning twards maybe an xp limitation though.

Edited by crhisdem, 30 September 2013 - 12:45 PM.

#5 jefferysitz

jefferysitz

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:15 PM

I found a thread here http://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/1aido8/xfx_radeon_hd_7970_3_monitors_wont_work indicating that you must use an active adaptor to get three monitors on that card.  This is out of my experience so maybe someone else will have more.

#6 crhisdem

crhisdem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:14 AM

An active adapter is not nessasery for displayport to vga it would be for dvi or hdmi though.

I belive the issue was due to ati's "legacy" drivers for XP being limited, I grudgenly upgraded to windows 7 and it started working as soon as the drivers where installed.

Thank you for your help

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:26 AM

I had a feeling it was something like that.

Thank You for reporting the solution.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users